125 gal diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if its possible to do a DIY co2 set up for a 125 gallon aquarium the pressurized system are a lil more than I can afford right now. If its possible could someone give me bottle sizes and formulations any advice would be greatly appreciated

It's not really feasible. It's probably possible, but the results probably wouldn't be as good as you would like, and the setup would probably be maintenance intense. I generally put the maximum tank size where DIY co2 stops being competitive with pressurized co2 at about 30g.

What if I directed the air line straight into my hob filter would it work then?

I agree with AquaChem. I'm running pressurized on 125 and already have get new cylinder after 2 mo. A DIY would be Very intense in up keeping and maintenance. Trying to reach a "acceptable" pH range from drop checker would drain a 2L very quickly.

What if I directed the air line straight into my hob filter would it work then?

Directing the air line into the hob helps with dissolving the CO2 in water, but your problem is that you will need a lot of CO2 being produced so dissolving CO2 is not your problem. You would need to run many 2 liter bottles producing CO2 to be able to have enough in your tank. The cost of using DIY CO2 would go through the roof quickly even though the initial price would be small.

Ok thanks, so what do I need to buy for a pressurized system then?

Regulator w/ integrated solenoid, bubble counter, and check valve (mine came with bubble counter) and diffusion method (glass, atomic, or reactor). Optional, but nice, are pH controller and CO2 grade tubing (helps withstand gas).

Back
Top Bottom