12g Nano Cube w/ Current Truelumen Pro LEDs Retro-Fit Upgrade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Janis!! You see the single lonely Neon? I feel bad because that's the sole survivor of my run-in with Ich. I'll probably add some more soon...

It happens sometimes, I have had 1 lonely WCMM in the 220 for months and am not adding more. She just schools around with the Regular and Purple Harlequin rasboras. You might find it hangs around the Embers. I do like the colors on the betta! But I'm surprised the plants aren't colored up more. Didn't you change fixtures?

Yeah.... I'm not sure what it is. It could be that the all white Truelumen Pro LED's are just so white (blue spectrum) heavy that the RGB lights provide close to nothing due to their weakness by comparison. When I had brand new PC bulbs in this tank, I barely did anything and just dosed Flourish Comp, Leaf Zone, w/ my co2 injection and my plants were super colorful by comparison... If only a BML LED light would fit in here! LOL

For the sake of comparison... look at this old picture I took of the plants in this tank. As I mentioned, with brand new PC bulbs when I first converted this tank to FW, I had a 10,000K and 6,500K. It was 48w over a 12g... Plus there were reflectors involved. I'm really SMH with these LEDs.
7876732898_e21416f757_b.jpg

Last edited:
Heck I remembered the color without even seeing the picture! I could tell the color has gone way down. What size it the tank? I have an 18 inch one on my daughter Fluval Edge 12g and they way the tank mounts, feet really, are made you can put them on both directions and have some play, well actually a lot, for tanks that aren't the exact same size. That 12g is like 17 and not even a 1/2" and the fixture is 18". You really don't notice it either. I have to admit the strong red spectrum in those BML's really work good. They are pricey but considering how well they are preforming in my planted tanks with the non green plants they are well worth the cost.

Hmmm.... the 12g might be going into a retirement for a bit....but I wonder what can fit on this?

ForumRunner_20130908_153940.jpg

Haha...I was going to wait until I got everything together for the new build thread...but since I had an interesting outing at Ikea & home depot yesterday, thought I'd leak a sneak peak. I'll throw the master plan in a new thread later today or something. :)

Yup... that's my ghetto fabulous yet industrial look of getting this stand to be taller! Haha

That's why the 12g is going into retirement. I'm maxed out, so the only way to add is to subtract. Lol

I'd much rather have a DIY stand, but my wood working skills isn't up to par...let alone the extra cost of materials and tools. This was a cheaper and acceptable option, IMO.

Finally! I see you did go the ghetto route. i dont think it looks bad at all! when's the big item coming?? ;)

Thanks Joey! Maybe in about a week. If everything works out as I envisioned it, this build should look good while keeping costs down since I have most of everything else on hand from past projects.

Thanks Joey! Maybe in about a week. If everything works out as I envisioned it, this build should look good while keeping costs down since I have most of everything else on hand from past projects.

Sounds good. Ill be looking for a thread. :)

Question about the Current Satellite LED+ fixtures...

I was at NA today and saw a grip of 8000K fixtures in varying lengths for around $100+/-
20130908_173246.jpg

Looking inside the box they look just like the Current USA lights, but the manual said Archaea and it looked just like this one

Thinking about a fixture like 8000K Archaea for my future 23G CAD (60cm) community planted tank build - will one be enough?

Oh cool...are you jumping in on that SCAPE Group Buy deal? Those Up Aqua lights are the same as the Archaea. Archaea are just rebranded from them...lol

They're cool looking lights. Sleek and all... but you'll probably need two for high light on that tank. Another issue I have is that they're heavy on blue spectrum and even look more blue than a Finnex Ray 2. It's cool if you want all green plants like an iwagumi build. I think the Ray 2 has a little more power than the UP for the money. But both these lights tend to make colors look a bit washed out and drab.

What are your goals for the CAD? If you're planning to grow non-green plants, I'd consider another lighting system like the BML fixtures (i.e. Dutch) or a T5HO. The BML would also have the option for a dimmer, and I think it has a higher CRI (color rendering index), which would be superior.

What are your questions on the Sat+? I really like mine and i'll be using two on my new project. You'll need two for that tank if you're considering them.

I guess my questions stem from size and rating of lights:
-6500K vs. 8000k
-Blue vs. Daylight
-Wattage needs

Between the Current LED+ vs. Finnex Ray2 vs. UP Aqua Pro; if I'm gonna need 2 for a planted 23G, which two?

Back
Top Bottom