130W in a 29g major help please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was looking for an upgrade for my light. I currently have a 29g with a 20W, someone messages me and says that they have a 130W PowerCompact light and is going to let it go for 50 dollars O_O. I've never had a high WPG tank in my life.

Should I jump on this? I only have Java Moss in there, no ferts or Co2. I just want to get it before someone else does.

I feel like I'm dreaming
icon_eek.gif

That's way overkill for Java Moss. Unless you're planning on dosing carbon and ferts, I would pass. Your 20W should even be okay for your moss, especially if any ambient light gets to the tank as well.

If you are wanting more plant options, other than java moss, it would be ok to get that fixture and use only 1 65w bulb. Even with 65w over a 29g, you will want to have some type of co2 injection (DIY would work) and dose some ferts. You'll want to get alot of stem plants to outcompete algae as well.

When you feel ready to tackle high light, you'll need pressurized co2 with 130w, regular fert dosing (macros and micros), and again, a lot of plants.

$50 is a good deal.....but don't put 130w over your tank right now.......and don't use 65w over the tank until you get more plants.

ok! I will be making my DIY CO2... I was just wondering if I am able to use these animal cracker jubs and if they will hold the CO2 ok? I just hpoe they won't pop!

Will these be ok? I just don't want any leaks? They will be for my 29g. I might hook 2 of these suckers up... haha or just 1..
85nz9co.jpg

A basic 2 liter bottle might be a safer choice. They are intended to hold some pressure. Also, a smaller cap shoulds seal easier.

yea, i'm going to be doing that... i wonder if i should have a gas separator or something or just straight feed it into my intake... i bought the tubing today. 50ft of it incase i screw it up haha.. thanks!

i started the CO2 today. i was reading up on ferts. when should one start dosing ferts?

i started the CO2 today. i was reading up on ferts. when should one start dosing ferts?

ASAP. As soon as you start adding Carbon, the plants will start consuming more nutrients. Bad things happen when they run out of one.

awwww crap, this isn't good, i wasn't prepped for this. I only have a few bunches of java moss right now. I'm getting about 10 new plants in this week. What kind of ferts should I use? Should I just dose flourish or something that's all i've been hearing...

Back
Top Bottom