15 gallon Asian Biotope/Lighting questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyheyitsrae

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I have a 15 gallon tank (footprint of a 10 gallon with some extra height) and I want to set it up as an Asian biotope once i find a stand for it. I plan on getting red ecocomplete plant substrate. Anyway, my plant plans are as follows:
Java fern on driftwood
Willow hygro (hygro augustifolia) for the background
A taller crypt species for the background (suggestions?)
crypt wendtii "bronze" for the mid/foreground and I should be getting some other crypt (florida sunset i think?) in the mail soon from a friend.
And then maybe some smaller, flatter crypts for the proper foreground.
Oh and asian watergrass floating on top. The water level will be slightly lowered so i can maybe get some java fern growing out of the water :D

Okay so what i need help with: background crypt species, foreground crypt species, and then lighting. I have an Eclipse all in one tank lid thing (with missing parts for the filter... Boo. So i'll be using a fluval U3 internal filter) and I'm not sure if the lighting will be able to support the hygro. I'll take a closer look at the bulb and stuff later when I get home, but for now what are your thoughts?

Crypt. parva and Crypt. lucens are probably the least likely to get big on you, with lucens being the bigger or the two. Crypt balansae and retrospiralis are both decent background crypts.

Thank you lots for your crypt suggestions. :D I'll go look them up right after this.
So there's a picture of my lighting fixure. I believe it is a T8, 18" 5500K full spectrum bulb. Could i use a T5 on a T8 fixture?

Attachments

• image-3717472902.jpg
    image-3717472902.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 61
Okay, so then should i go ahead and get a new hood? Since the filter is missing parts and the light probably won't be strong enough. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom