15 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firefrenzy69

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so here is what im doing so far.

- filter media- biomax, foam, purigen

- Substrate base- stratum

- substrate- deep river gravel dark

- Flourish tabs

- Excel flourish

-I have air bubble strand in the tank which I have been told theres no point injecting with co2 is this correct?

- the plants Im currently thinking of (which I havent done much research on yet) java moss, Java fern, lettuce. Any other ideas for a 15 gallon?

I am planning on setting this all up with the plants for one month before I add in any fish.

CO2 injection is not absolutely necessary. For planted but Prefer it by far!! In combination with a pH controller
It's the way to go but $$$ pricey a bit
For me I mean.

Lol we'll I'm def on a budget right now. Until I can convince hubby that he's just as stoked as I am :p. will the excel flourish give enough co2 for the plants?

Nothing wrong with low-tech especially on a 15 gallon a decent light will be your biggest price tag. Do more frequent water changes and under filter the tank. Good to go?

Oh and plant choice! Some plants require CO2 and highlight others don't.

Lol we'll I'm def on a budget right now. Until I can convince hubby that he's just as stoked as I am :p. will the excel flourish give enough co2 for the plants?

Yes, Flourish Excel will provide a decent carbon source for your plants. You can go over the recommended dosage in most cases if you work up to it. I think it is 1 mL / 2 gallons daily. Shrimp and some plants such as Vals and Anacharis can be sensitive to to Excel.
An alternative to Excel is Metricide 14. 1 gallon goes for about $20 online and it has twice the amount of Glutaraldehyde (ingredient in Excel, API CO2 Booster).

Okay awesome thanks I just did a bit more research on plants and I'm thinking of going with dwarf hair grass or microsword for the foreground. Rotala magenta, ludwigia perusesis, cardinal plant for the middle I'll prob only pick 2 of these and money wort, cambomba and anacharis for the background. I have no idea how to trim any of these so it will really be a learning experience!

Lighting is what determines the types of plants a tank can grow. What type lighting and bulbs are you using? DHG, Ludwigia glandulosa, and Rotala Magenta all need higher light, dry ferts for complete micro and macro nutrients, along with higher dosing of liquid carbons or CO2. I don't suggest using Anacharis as most of the time it will melt when used in a tank with liquid carbon.

Java Ferns
Anubias
Moss Balls
Amazon Sword
Crypts

Are all good beginner plants. swords and Crypts need root tabs. But all of these should be ok with low light.

I use screw in CFLs. Get around 6,500K for a nice look and good for plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom