16gal Bowfront lighting for the color picky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mondrin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been using the standard T8 15W aqueon 8000 daylight bulb with my 16 gallon bowfront since I started it. I don't have the ability to measure the PAR on this light but am guessing it is below low light at the bottom of my tank. The light sits 15" above the substrate. I'd like to increase my light output so I can grow plants at the bottom. My taller plants grow just fine. I use Flourish excel and no CO2 injection. My wife and I find that we like the color of the 8000k daylight bulb and do not like the color of the various T5 fixtures we've tried (10K, 6700). They all make my tank too green. The 8000 daylight bulb is more pink than these other bulbs. I recently got an AquaticLife dual T5HO (20") that came with two 18W bulbs (6000k and 650nm Rosette). The Rosette bulb is the closest I've seen to the color of the 8000 daylight bulb but by itself isn't that bright compared to the 6000k. Together they produce much more light than the original T8 and is less green than most. Some questions I have for all of you:
1. Is this dual T5 fixture going to be too much for my tank? I don't want to go beyond medium light and would happily stay in the higher low light category if it would penetrate to the bottom of my tank. This fixture sits 17.5" above the substrate.
2. If I replaced the 6000k with another Rosette would I be harming my plant growth? Although the 6000k is "whiter" and "brighter" it still adds too much green/yellow tint. I wonder if two Rosette bulbs would get what I'm after color wise.
3. Are there any other T5 bulbs out there that would give the color of light that I am looking for?
4. Does anyone know if they actually make a dual T8 fixture? I suspect if I could run two of the T8 8000k Daylight bulbs I'd be a happy camper. So far I cannot find such a dual fixture and I can't fit two standard T8 hoods on top of the aquarium.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my long winded post. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom