1g Cube Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
I plan on getting a Marina Cubus to have something on my desk while I use the computer, it will be planted going to keep it low tech and low maintenance stock will probably be a few nerite snails maybe a couple shrimp. What I want to know is, will the light it comes with be powerful enough to grow low light plants? It's a clip on light with three LEDs in it.

I had the 1g cubus tank and returned it. The quality was subpar and the lighting was terrible.

If you like a small cube with exceptional quality, I recommend the 2g cube rimless tank from truaqua.com.

I have my 2g journal linked in my Sig. The LED light I got is nice but overpriced for what it is. There's a dolphin LED light on Amazon you can get that would be cheaper.

Edit:

Tank - http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high-clarity-glass-cube-hcc-8.html

Light - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009P05DL2/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1384135425&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Filter - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9821

Last edited:
I don't think that tank can ship to me, at least when I tried to get a shipping rate it said the item in your cart can't be shipped using that method for every shipping method. I'm liking the look of the light, going to be ordering stuff for my 46g soon from amazon so i might just have to throw that into the cart as well.

Thanks for the links Brian, much appreciated.

I noticed you had DHG in the tank, did it end up doing well with the light you had?

Oh my bad...didn't know you are in Canada. I wish the mobile app tells us these things! Lol

Where were you going to get that 1g cube?

DHG didn't do much in that tank. It just stayed alive. However, I did notice a few runners here and there when I added a liquid carbon. Not sure if it was the light, no CO2, or both? I moved the DHG when I rescaped it to a tank with higher lighting and co2.

Apparently the walmart near me sells the 1g cube, at least that's what it said online, so was going to check it out tomorrow after work. If I can't find it I might just hit up my local fish store and see what they got for small tanks as well.

Following this. I tried the marina cubus too at one point. Light is absolutely worthless and has no switch anyway. You have to unplug it to turn it off. Always wanted a pico planted tank. Smallest I've been successful is 4gal so far. Be sure to check eBay, there's lots of lighting options there and worldwide shipping in most cases.

I personally don't like the look of the fluval spec tanks and they are quite expensive IMO. I picked up the marina cubus opened it before I bought it, looked alright so figured why not. I like the cube look and it's hard to find anything cube shaped and small like that around here. Still unsure on what light to get, I'm liking the look of the one Brian linked but what kind of light will that give me? Have any of you had experience with the Aquatop LEDC-36RGB 36 LED Clip On Light: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies ? The reviews seem to say it's not all that bright and grows low light plants okay but that's on tanks bigger than mine like 2.5-7gals

Hmm, that's strange. Didn't even know the Kelvin was that warm. It looks more like 5000K to me. Is there an Ikea by you? Go check out the display.

Here's when I was using it on a cube for a little bit...

jpGGAzM69cP7z.jpg

Also, I spotted the same light being used in these Pico tanks
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...1.546086492088741&source=46&__user=1268706354

Last edited:
You always have such awesome scapes even in that little tank you make it really come alive with the plants and such sticking out the top. Really neat Brian.

The closest IKEA to me is probably about 45mins-1hr away. The luxuries of living in a village with a population of 1000 lol.

The light colour looks way less yellowish in your photo compared to the ones in the link. Maybe I'll have my cousin snag me one and pick it up during Christmas just to have options, even if I don't use it on the tank I can still use it at night for the keyboard. Don't think I'm going to try out the Dolphin Curve, it will be 3inches larger than my tank. Don't want it to look too huge in comparison and just look silly on there. The hunt continues! lol

Set the tank up with just sand thinking I was going to do plants that can be tied down or moss...but I'm thinking I might plant some low light stem plants as well with small leaves...going to take it down and dirt it and cap with sand lol should've just did this to begin with just in case I wanted other plants, oh well atleast it's a small tank shouldn't be to much of a pain.

The tank so far, looks more cloudy in the photo then it does in person. Plants so far are crypt spiralis, crypt parva, some sort of rotala, and java fern. Hoping the crypt spiralis will spread along the back a little more and come out around the pieces of driftwood then I'll remove that piece of java fern. Just have it in there for now to see how it looks. Going to add anubias nana petite once I get a bunch of it, have some growing in one of my 7.9g cubes. Using a T3 13w CFL at the moment, not sure how well it will work.
IMG_5261.jpg

Back
Top Bottom