1st attempt at a planned 55gal. - natural look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope the neon's survival rate is better for you than it was for me. 1st batch I got 9 ended up with 6 after a week. Added 6 more and lost 2. I seem to be holding at 10.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I've heard that about neons. I have all six this morning, just fed them and did a count.

I'm aiming for a larger school than I typically see in 55 gal. tanks - 16 or so. I think it will be quite striking!

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

Counting large schools can be extremely difficult. I have ~20 in my tank, thats the most accurate number I can come up with at least

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Was unavailable to my tank unexpectantly (hospital stay) so for 6 days they had no PWCs or food. But everyone survived just fine. I figured it was better for them if I DIDN'T have family feed or do anything with them.

So I fed them well when I got home on Friday and all of a sudden I have the brown diatoms on the glass! That quick! Yuck. I think I'll go back to every other day. I know I over-feed.

Second set of six neons added yesterday and they all look healthy and happy with the previous six. I drop acclimated them forever with that kit I use. (See pic). Seems to work very well and very easily.

My hubby is warning up to my aquarium hobby! It's only taken four or five years! He HATED the idea of an aquarium when I brought it up five years or so ago. I got it anyway.

As I started setting it up again after the move he commented about getting schooling fish that shoal together. Of course he wasn't familiar with that verbiage, but he explained himself. So I am stocking a nice big school of neon tetras. There are 12 of them now and I'll add another six next week to fill out the school. It should look stunning.

The neons don't seem to shoal as much as I had hoped. Perhaps the crazy danios zipping around distract them too much! I'm still thinking a good-sized school of rummy-nose tetras. I've had them before in a black substrate tank and they are stunning - and definitely shoal!!

The tank today (very short);
http://youtu.be/_7uOZ4SuCbw

Back
Top Bottom