1x3 triple cube aquascape concept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For those that haven't followed my saga, I am new to the hobby (started my studies/joined the forum in November 2012) and I only have one tank, but I am ready to bring things to the next level. Since I really like Betta fish, the idea is to have 3 independent tanks that form a single aquascape based on plant distribution, substrate level and continuity of ornaments. Thetanks must be independent so I can have a male Betta on each tank.

The first subject I would like to address is the substrate level. Here are the choices:

image-2758103515.jpg

Top had an "island" shape

Middle has a "valley" shape

Bottom has a "sliding" shape.

I am very inclined to go with the top option, but I am willing to hear from those with more experience. Anyone?

I realize that I might be the only one understanding the drawing, so here is option 1, 2 and 3 with black background and dark substrate to better illustrate the options:

Attachments

• image-3444460305.jpg
    image-3444460305.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 301
While all three look really cool, they will be hard to maintain. No matter how you arrange it at first, it is most likely to even out within a few days. Can't defeat gravity.

The current tank I have preserved the inclination. I did you some physical retention under the substrate to avoid regular settling to take place. I believe I have enough data to make it, even though you are absolutely right, it can't be really radical otherwise it will end up leveled.

image-2699077234.jpg

Random example of other triple concepts that were successful with slopes.

Definitely following. It'd be cool if they were all touching.

I thought about that, but I believe the gap makes it a real triptych http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptych

Besides, the wall I have available is 44 inches long. Without space the tanks are just 36". With space I can bring it up to 42".

Here is the sketch for the stand:

image-1471200730.jpg

Tall enough to fit a 10lb Cilinder for CO2

Here is the driftwood that I plan on using as the off-center piece and its extension. I am still looking for something that would fit on the third tank...

Attachments

• image-3675852060.jpg
    image-3675852060.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 240
  • image-294270088.jpg
    image-294270088.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 243
So basically, I am planning on something like this:

Foreground: dwarf hairgrass, transitioning with some amazon microswords
Midground: microswords and ludwigias trimmed
Background: the middle tank will be predominantly green, with non-greens as you move away from the center. Each lateral tank will feature a red tiger lotus.

Attachments

• image-4130138057.jpg
    image-4130138057.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 276
Following... I like the idea of the tanks spaced evenly with the slopes continuing into the adjacent tank. This has the potential of awesomeness!

This is going to be a beautiful piece of art and such a talking point for your home!! Out of the 3 tanks, which position will your current tank take?

This is going to be a beautiful piece of art and such a talking point for your home!! Out of the 3 tanks, which position will your current tank take?

My current tank will become the tank to the right of the center piece, but it will be rescaped with small leaf plants, no white substrate and a different driftwood.

I really like the concept of 1 design across 3 tanks. The last picture that you drew is really cool. I like that design.

I'm excited to see how this develops.

I found this article very helpful when it comes to scaping.
Aquascaping Principles

I finally had a chance to read the article. I am stuck with the convex shape, one focal point in the middle tank (slightly off center to respect the 1/1.6 proportion) and both plants and substrate giving the continuity to the adjacent tanks.

This tank will be light on rocks, but I am not sure if I should river, pollished pebbles or more aggressive, iwagumi stones. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom