2.5wpg plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Slowly building up a planted tank. I decided on an AH Supplies 96w PC for my 37g. Yielding approx. 2.5 wpg. This is my first planted tank, so I want to use it as a learning experience. CO2 is simply to much for me to take on right now.

I'm currently researching plants and was wondering what opinions anyone has for my lighting set up. Also, I'm using Eco Complete as a substrate. So far I like:

Java's
Crinum's
Hair grasses (worried my lighting won't be enough)
Crispus
Swords

Anyone out there have any suggestions for 2.5 wpg. Any help would the greatly appreciated.

you might want to look into what flourish excel has to offer in terms of carbon for your plants.

You might want to also try Hornwort, Water primerose, Water sprite & java moss. All of these do well in 2WPG or less.

Ahhhh......this is exactly what I needed to know.

I have been checking out the Flourish products at my LFS's. I think I am going to give them a try.

Finally after two months of research and piecing together equipment. I get to set the aquarium up this weekend :lol: Figured it would be best to start on the simple side and use for learning. Then build a 75 to 125g with CO2 in the future :twisted:

Would it be better to buy all the plants and set up the tank all at once, seeing how planted tanks do not need to cycle. Or would it be best to set the tank up, then add the plants? I plan to put a light layer of peat moss below the substrate, so logically it sounds like planting would be best while setting up, to keep from disturbing the bottum layer of peat???

Anyone out there have any other suggestions for plants with 2.5wpg w/o CO2? How often and how much on water changes?

Big thanks to all that have helped. I certainly appreciate it.

i'd set it up all at once. starting out with lots of plants, particularly stem plants and algae suckers like hornwort, will help you avoid a big algae attack. hehe, notice that was HELP, not completely avoid. algae is the bain of planted tank keepers' existence

once everything is cycled like normal, i usually do 20-40% water changes weekly. it kinda depends on your bio load. i've got large bioloads on my 10 gal and 30 gal. The 10 has been algae free for a while now (and its a jungle), so I usually do 25% weekly. My 30 gal has a little algae problem, so I'm starting 30% biweekly changes. Some plant geeks swear by weekly 50% water changes.

other plant suggestions: regular ol val has worked in my 2 wpg tank, as do some crypts. water sprite is a good stem plant that will help fight algae in the early stages by sucking up nutrients.

Buy all your plants at once and plant as you go...add enough water to cover your foreground plants add them, add more water for mid-ground plants add them and more water to cover background plants then add them, then fill tank up the rest of the way. If you are not going to use C02 then use Seachem Flourish Excel for a carbon source. Wait until your tanks cycles to start using ferts and doing water changes, about 20% once a week.

I'd really like to put a pair of discus in this tank, but they are so fragile. My LFS has some nice, healthy looking bavarian Rams. I might try a pair of Rams and some Hachets for 6 months to monitor parameter's. They make good tank mates with Discus and have similar needs. If they do well, I might try to introduce a pair of Discus. If not, I'll know my habitat wont support them.

As for plants. I'm going to try and do a South/Central America theme. A couple are not from S/C region, but it's my tank and I like them , so there going in LOL.

Corkscrew and Jungle Val
Amazon and Red Rubin Swords
Chain Swords
Micro Swords
Ludwigia
Anacharis
Crinums
Dwarf Water Onions
Java Fern (maybe)

Whats everyones opinion on mail ordering plants? My LFS's plants are 4 to 5 bucks a piece. That adds up rather quickly for the amount of plants I need. Not to mention, they don't have some I would like to get. I can get them for half the price ordering from AZ Aquatic Gardens. I live in NV (borders AZ, same climate), so it should'nt be to hard to get next day or 2nd day delivery from AZ. Keeping stress to a minimum hopefully.

Plants have to be distributed somehow. I do'nt see why it would be that big a deal to have them shipped to me. Fish on the other hand, I will be purchasing from a good LFS. Thier very knowledgable and I would like to see the fish before purchasing.

BTW............I dont plan on introducing any fish into the tank, until it is planted and runs for a month.

Anyone have any advice. I certainly appreciate it.

I'd really like to put a pair of discus in this tank, but they are so fragile. My LFS has some nice, healthy looking bavarian Rams. I might try a pair of Rams and some Hachets for 6 months to monitor parameter's. They make good tank mates with Discus and have similar needs. If they do well, I might try to introduce a pair of Discus. If not, I'll know my habitat wont support them.

As for plants. I'm going to try and do a South/Central America theme. A couple are not from S/C region, but it's my tank and I like them , so there going in LOL.

Corkscrew and Jungle Val
Amazon and Red Rubin Swords
Chain Swords
Micro Swords
Ludwigia
Anacharis
Crinums
Dwarf Water Onions
Java Fern (maybe)

Whats everyones opinion on mail ordering plants? My LFS's plants are 4 to 5 bucks a piece. That adds up rather quickly for the amount of plants I need. Not to mention, they don't have some I would like to get. I can get them for half the price ordering from AZ Aquatic Gardens. I live in NV (borders AZ, same climate), so it should'nt be to hard to get next day or 2nd day delivery from AZ. Keeping stress to a minimum hopefully.

Plants have to be distributed somehow. I do'nt see why it would be that big a deal to have them shipped to me. Fish on the other hand, I will be purchasing from a good LFS. Thier very knowledgable and I would like to see the fish before purchasing.

BTW............I dont plan on introducing any fish into the tank, until it is planted and runs for a month.

Anyone have any advice. I certainly appreciate it.

Hi Mojo. For plants, I've been dealing directly with Lowcoaster from aquabid.com. His name is Charley and you can email him from that site. Don't worry about the bidding, just tell him what you are looking for or he can make some great suggestions based on your needs and wants.

I've found his plants exceptional.

PS. You're going the right route re the discus. Get their tankmates established first :wink:

The smallest size tank a Discus should be put in is a 50G tank. So you might want to rethink putting them in a 37G.

I have to disagree with you trenac. I've grown out 5 in 29g. A 37g is more than enough space for 3 adult discus :)

Here's a new young one in the 29g. I've got 4 in there now.

Ahhhh yes the minimum 50g for Discus. From all that I have read on Discus this is debatable. I've been recommended 30g is the smallest. Others say 50g min. Then you see 10g per Discus others say 15g per fish.

It appears that clean, soft, stable water, with areas for cover and calm surroundings is key. With a smaller tank, its a safe bet you'll have to change water a lot more often, than say a 125g tank. Due to the bio load.

Theres actually someone on here that post on a regular bases that has a pair of Discus, as well as, other tank mates in a successful 29g tank. For the life of me I can't recall who it is. Maybe they will chime in.

At this point I am going to get a pair of Bavarian Rams and some Hachets to study, seeing how they have similar needs as Discus. After monitoring the tank and more research I would consider Discus (4-6 months from now).

Also, Brian- Thank You very much for all of your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you in the future. :lol:

Now that is too funny. I thought it was you Brian that had a successful 29g. You bet me to the post LOL. I knew I should have payed attention in typing class.

BrainNY...Their max size is about 8 inch per fish so that is a lot of fish for a 29G if you had all five in there at one time. But if you have had success with this I am not going to argue with you. It also has to do with your filtration and how good you are with staying on schedule with your tank maintence.

Exactly right trenac. Especially in grow out tanks water changing is critical. Again, thank God for Python. I believe that rule of thumb supposes some substrate in the tanks as well. Mine are bare bottom to insure cleanliness.

Mojo Troll could keep an adult pait no prob in 37g and get away with fewer water changes as well if he/she keeps from overfeeding and doesn't over load the tank with plecos and otos and the like.

Thank you all for the opinions. Currently I'll be running a Filstar XP1 canister (w/o charcoal) on the 37g. I might throw a HOB on after I get the tank running for even more filtration.

My Eco Complete order is running behind due to bad weather. Had it shipped ground and still managed to save a great deal of money over locally. Even with the costly shipping. Needless to say, I have to wait till next weekend to plant the tank and get it running. It actually works out for the better, my plant order wo'nt be in till the end of the week.

I have a small 5g shrimp tank I was thinking of using to help establish the bigger tank. Then be able to use the 5g for QT ( I know its small, but its payed for and better than nothing).

My concern is, that in the future when I add the fish after cycling, my shrimp will be eaten. I'm planning on 4 to 6 Hatchets and a pair of Bol. Rams (for now :wink: ). Will the Rams eventually eat my shrimp? Surprisingly I've had these silly shrimp of various species for sometime now. I've grown quit fond of them and really don't want them to become fish food. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Keep those comments coming.

Back
Top Bottom