2 HOB filters for 120g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am about to get a 120g 60x18 (or something close) and just till I can afford a larger canister filter should I drop a smaller job filter (2 rated for 30-40g) to sub the canister. Or should I just trust to the one canister. Its a planted tank and I am getting it in full stride. Just draining it long enough to move it 20 miles on the back of a truck.

The canister is a f205 rated for only 75g

a fluval 205? That's nowhere near enough. You need at least a 305 and 405, xp3, fx5, or eheim equivalent. Those 3 filters won't even be sufficient IMO.

Yea was afraid of that. Guess I am not going to be able to wait till next month. 405 here I come. Good thing thatpetplace is running a 20% sale on them.

Agree with rookie. Better to over filter than under. Even with the 405, I would run the HOB's for seed material or polishing the water with floss in them.

A single 405 won't cut it IMO. The realistic numbers would be:
205- Up to 30g
305- Up to 55g
405- Up to 75, maybe 90g
FX5- Up to 180g

You might get by with the 405 and 205, but I'd keep the two HOB's on as well.

If u go by flow rate I have always gone with about 10x the filtration in gph so take the total gph and divide by 120 u want it to be around 10 IMO but more is better than too little so.... Go over won't hurt anything lol

mfdrookie516 said:
A single 405 won't cut it IMO. The realistic numbers would be:
205- Up to 30g
305- Up to 55g
405- Up to 75, maybe 90g
FX5- Up to 180g

You might get by with the 405 and 205, but I'd keep the two HOB's on as well.

+1 better keep the 2 HOB with Ur 405. Two canister will get abit complicated an messy IME/O. :)

Fdsh5 said:
Your fish would be plastered to the glass. Haha

At least he wouldnt have to look for them he would know where they where every second

I run a 405 with a UV and an FX5 on my 180. It keeps the water pretty good and clean.I still run a 295 gph power head with polishing pads every 3 days or so for an hour or 2. But I'm real picky about my water, if I cant read out of a book through the long ends, it isn't clean enough for me.
I really don't need to run the power head at all.

I wish I could run the power head full time but Frontosa like lower currents and seem happier around a 6 to 7x water cycle.

If the tank is heavily planted, less filtration is needed. As well, the fish load needs to be considered. Consider that turnover rates are vastly over rated, and most people on forums know so much more about filtration than the manufacturers of said filters( really?). Personally, I wouldn't choose to run a cannister at all, but probably one or two AC 110s. Planted tanks tend to create a lot of debris, and the ease of maintenance of a HOB would be my preference.

I don't want to hijack... but is a fluval 305 a good enough filter for a 40 gallon 'high tech' tank (I also have a 400 gph power head)

BillD said:
If the tank is heavily planted, less filtration is needed. As well, the fish load needs to be considered. Consider that turnover rates are vastly over rated, and most people on forums know so much more about filtration than the manufacturers of said filters( really?). Personally, I wouldn't choose to run a cannister at all, but probably one or two AC 110s. Planted tanks tend to create a lot of debris, and the ease of maintenance of a HOB would be my preference.

Hmm I would say that canister and hob are the same when it comes to maintenance.

BillD said:
IMO canisters are less work and are cheaper in the long run. I used to spend about 10$ a month on my hob bit now I spend maybe 25 cents a month for the canister. So how about the fluval 305 on the 40 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom