2 silly questions but I don't know the answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bioworldmaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have any of you ever heard of "mini moss"? How about "Xmas moss"?

Here is what I had in mind: right now my tank is loosely planted (25 gal eclipse with 2 amazon swords and 3 bunches of red ludwigia) and I would like to "carpet" my drifwood with some kind of moss to make it look like it has been there for a while... You probably have seen those before...

So, I googled it and found this website
http://www.nature-aquarium.com/xmas.htm

Do any of you know where I can get this "mini moss"? I googled and didn't find any aquarium stores selling it...

Now, another question I have is about CO2.
I've always wondered: how do you know how much CO2 to let into the water? Because CO2 + H2O => H2CO3 (carbonic acid) and being an acid that would lower the pH of the water! Also, wouldn't the CO2 expel O2 out of the water and asfixiate the fish?

Thanks!!

Xmas moss is a lovely plant. It is a lot like Java moss, but with a much fuller look. It looks a lot like a conifer bough, or a little Christmas tree, hence the name.

Adding CO2 to your aquarium? Easier, and assuredly better, than me fumbling through an explanation, check out this link:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

That should explain it all.

Mike

sm_0256A848.jpg

on the left

Possibly Cratoneuron filicinum from New Zealand, no one knows yet, it is that new! Nicer density and look than Java Moss and cascades down driftwood like it was made for
first came to hear about Christmas Moss roughly two years ago on an aquatic plant mailing list, the APD. It was in the possesion of Loh Kwek Leong who lives in Singapore. He graciously sent me some and also had posted on his old site information on how to build a moss wall in the aquarium. This moss has not been scientifically indexed to my knowledge, and reports of it coming from Taiwan to New Zealand are still unsubstantiated. What I do know is that it is an exciting alternative to Java Moss, will attach to not only driftwood but glass (we have some growing on our nursery tank glass sides) as well, and is beautiful!

Thanks for the replies...

I was wondering if you have some extra xmas moss, that you would be willing to sell me? :)
I also emailed a guy in Singapore, to find out if he ships to the US... :)

Back
Top Bottom