20 gal planted tank update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have the api root tabs (prolly the exact same thing as seachem) and they say to use something like 10 per square foot. but on my 40g i would need somthing like 4000 root tabs. instead i put two in the substrate near my crypts and then i guess ill replace them every 2 weeks or monthly

*Update: I replaced the grapewood with a small piece of wood that is much shorter and takes up less space. The grapewood was just too large for my tank. I've also decided it looks a lot better too.. I reattached the java fern and 2 small clumps of moss to the new piece of wood. It hasn't been soaked in a long time so it is being held down by a rock until it becomes waterlogged. I now have more space for anubias, crypts, anachris, or some other plant if need be. Plants are looking good and I am seeing visible signs of growth in most of the plants.

Hello all! It's been a long time since I've posted here. Plants have grown in a lot! I have to prune the tall ones in the back (still don't know their id?) and the other plants have grown in nicely as well. sorry the pics aren't good; the water is cloudy for some reason. The moss has grown into the wood a bit, but the java fern wouldn't so i am tying it to the tip of a stone and seeing how that works out. Let me know your thoughts! Feel free to ask any questions, etc.

Attachments

• Tank 001.jpg
    Tank 001.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Tank 002.jpg
    Tank 002.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Tank 003.jpg
    Tank 003.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Tank 005.jpg
    Tank 005.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 61
Looks great now that everything is grown in and the plants aren't so.....straggly I guess is the word. Also looks nice how the rock structure is kind of getting swallowed by the plants. Nice job!

thanks thominil! Yeah I'm happy with the somewhat overgrown look; the plants are growing thick. The camera isn't the best; it doesn't catch the shades of red in some of the plants, which I like. I also just got a crypt a couple days ago. A lutea, or something like that I believe.

Just to put it out there, I have about 18 fish (1 golden algae eater, and schools of neons, serpaes, and zebra danios), 2 mystery snails, and some common brown-shelled snails.

Hello all!

Currently winning a battle with hair algae and green water. With some advice from thominil and mfdrookie, I blacked out the tank for a day and did a 40-50% water change. I am blacking out the tank today, giving the plants a few hours of light and then proceeding to black out the tank.

In my stupidity, without more research I put some algae destroyer in my tank (which worked well before I had a planted tank with snails), after reading that it was harmful to crustaceans. I assumed it would be fine for mollusks like snails but no; I killed my 2 mystery snails and probably a number of smaller snails. :(

For some reason my golden algae eater died yesterday. Ironically I had bought some algae wafers a day before because he had run out. I just found him dead in the middle of the day when I checked on my fish. He was about 4 inches. Also, a pregnant zebra danio died a couple days ago - she had raised scales on her lower abdomen. Not sure why either, but my other danios are healthy.

So, a stock update:

5 zebras
7 neons
6 serpaes
2 sunburst-red mixed race (haha) platy fry

Just wondering: anyone think this is overstocked?

Pictures coming soon.

The golden algae eater was actually a chinese algae eater and would have gotten to big and aggressive for your tank anyway. As for being overstocked, get rid of the platys and you should be fine IMO. Perfect numbers on the tetras and danios. Other than the platys, you should be fine. Sorry to hear about the snails. The "Quick fix meds and cures" are a complete waste of time and money IMO. Clean water is all you need. Hope this helps.

yeah, the golden algae eater was somewhat of a bully. I believe he was full grown, though. The platies were put in my tank somewhat for relief from my brother's unplanted fw 10g tank, when he had a batch of 7 platy fry (he has almost as many fish as I do! haha). at least some of the smaller snails survived. I actually have a couple different types, but I don't know which..

You will need at least 3wpg tbh if you want decent growth from hairgrass.

They take a little while to settle in as they are normally grown emersed so need to adjust to submersed conditions. The old strands will die off and new runners will shoot up bright green ones. With your setup this will take a "long" time and wont really achieve the full carpet affect your after.

Unless your going to upgrade the light I would replace the hairgrass with something like riccia?

I could really use a better camera.. as I've said before the one I use doesn't do justice to the different shades of green and the couple of reds/pinks in there. :( Also, the lighting on the last pics were a little messed up, but it was the best I could do.

Nah, it looks nice in the pics, you get that nice tint of red. Very satisfying IMO. Only thing I would change is get PFS next time you decide to rearrange things.

That means Pool filter sand (white sand). People usually suggest it because it is very cheap compared to buying sand or gravel.

That means Pool filter sand (white sand). People usually suggest it because it is very cheap compared to buying sand or gravel.
people usually suggest it because it looks more natural, is cheaper than aquarium sand, doesnt build up gas pockets like finer sand, fish like it more, people like it more, filters like it more, everything about it is better lol

how do fish and filters like it more? haha. but wouldnt switching out my substrate totally mess up the parameters and take out the 'mulm' that builds up? I hope the stuff comes in a dark brown/black color, that would make the plants look better.

Back
Top Bottom