20 gallon planted aquarium after 3 weeks co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bri6679

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is a before and after picture any suggestions for a carpeting plant ?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1398997952961.jpg
    1398997952961.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 1398998047335.jpg
    1398998047335.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 160
Also I have 72 Watts of light from t5 and it is 20 gallons and I am dosing see Seachem ferts to recommended flourish iron nitrogen phosphorus potassium and trace

I really enjoyed staurogyne repens in my 20L, but I had trouble with it (no CO2 and I was only dosing Excel). I'm debating on giving it another shot with the pressurized setup I have now. In high light, it grew in lush and compact, with pretty quick growth.

yes I was looking at those do they carpet easily?

Here is Starogynes repens in my 20g long. Finnex Fugeray, DIY CO2, PPS-Pro, Aqua Fertz root tabs. These were taken about 2 months ago. I trim the top growth and simply replant it. The plants produce a surprisingly large amount of roots for their size. Tank no longer looks like this since I did a nearly complete break down and restart. Fert deficiencies, BBA. These were purchased from Petsmart from one of those Topfin plant gel packs. The pics were taken after 5 months.
A2BbNha.jpg

n7BYAN8.jpg

That is a gorgeous tank

What is the tall plant behind the driftwood called?

What is the tall plant behind the driftwood called?

Broadleaf chain sword or Echinodorus quadricostatus.
I first had this as a foreground plant under low light. It hardly grew. I increased the lights and there was some growth. I added CO2 and in the next 3-4 months it grew much bigger and occupied 1/2 to 3/4 of the tank. I then moved a few specimens to the back as a background plant and it continued to send out 3-4 runners per week. I finally removed all of it from the tank.

Nice looking tank. My rainbows kept picking on my Repens and I'm having hard time keeping them in the substrate.

Nice looking tank. My rainbows kept picking on my Repens and I'm having hard time keeping them in the substrate.

Thanks! The MTS did a good job of uprooting the repens. I used toothpicks to help hold them in place until the roots grew in.

How long did it took you to grow yours like that? My fish kept eating the leaf.

How long did it took you to grow yours like that? My fish kept eating the leaf.

About 5 months. Just trim the top and replant. The undergrowth will appreciate the added light and respond by sprouting buds. Just keep it short if possible. Aside from the boisterous snails, nothing bothered the star repens except maybe the current. I heard platies have a taste for them as well.

I think my rainbows are the one that are eating the leaf, and my Cory also likes to go over there. Always find new leaf missing. Thought about removing them and put some pearlweed, but I love the looks of repens carpet. After seeing your's I'm going to give it more time. Thanks.

After 1 month

Attachments

• 1400437109936.jpg
    1400437109936.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom