20 gallon Q & A build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neons are so hit or miss.. you could acclimate them for 4 hours and that alone could stress them to death. I'll call it luck of the draw at best.
Ill even go on a limb and say half the time are water is too good for them as dedicated aquarist, not breeders or retailers. My lfs keeps wc dates on the tanks, some.. i hope.. are wrong.. the fish still look great though. I add them to my tank (usually 0,0,-20) and they're stuck to the filter intake in the morning??
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Params look good. How did u acclimate the neons? Might be stress from a big pH change.

My pictures look good right now...when I started I wish I never posted it lol

I find it weird that you lost 2 and possibly a third. I got 21 from petsmart and have lost 1, during ich heat treatment.

I haven't tested my tap pH in a while but last time I checked it was in the mid 7's...i think

With the heater I never thought of it, but read on a thread here that with it vertical it can shut itself off. The heat rises up and heats up the thermostat and shuts it off. If you angle the heater this problem goes away.

Good luck with your neons

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

drip for over 2 hours because I started doing something else and kinda forgot about them until I heard the water noise from the filter. All my heaters are vertical never had a prob. The visitherm is about 6 years old and I have an ebo jager that's over 10.

Neons are so hit or miss.. you could acclimate them for 4 hours and that alone could stress them to death. I'll call it luck of the draw at best.
Ill even go on a limb and say half the time are water is too good for them as dedicated aquarist, not breeders or retailers. My lfs keeps wc dates on the tanks, some.. i hope.. are wrong.. the fish still look great though. I add them to my tank (usually 0,0,-20) and they're stuck to the filter intake in the morning??

The 3rd one died but the 6 remaining look great. They were buy 2 get one that will die free so I should be good now.

The 3rd one died but the 6 remaining look great. They were buy 2 get one that will die free so I should be good now.

Oh good, they figured instant mortality rate into the price!!

drip for over 2 hours because I started doing something else and kinda forgot about them until I heard the water noise from the filter. All my heaters are vertical never had a prob. The visitherm is about 6 years old and I have an ebo jager that's over 10.

Just giving an idea on the heater. It sounds like you acclimated them long enough, I only did 45 minutes.

Going to just say that you got a bad batch.

Just giving an idea on the heater. It sounds like you acclimated them long enough, I only did 45 minutes.

Going to just say that you got a bad batch.

I'm guessing what they mean is the heater will cycle more often. I guess that would wear out the thermostat a little faster. Thanks for the info. If you can find it, post a link to the thread.

Searching now...

Edit- one hour later and multiple searches on here and couldn't find the thread that mentioned the heater placement.

Thinking about ordering the Satellite Plus PRO from amazon at the end of the month for $170. Says its high PAR and good for high light plants. Anyone have input on this light?? Brookster I believe you suggested the satellite plus or did you mean the plus pro?

Thinking about ordering the Satellite Plus PRO from amazon at the end of the month for $170. Says its high PAR and good for high light plants. Anyone have input on this light?? Brookster I believe you suggested the satellite plus or did you mean the plus pro?

I've got the plus pro. Ain't never used it yet but it's a very powerful light.
You won't be disappointed with it but out of curiosity why are you interested in a light meant for high light plants when (to my knowledge) you're keeping low to mediums?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've got the plus pro. Ain't never used it yet but it's a very powerful light.
You won't be disappointed with it but out of curiosity why are you interested in a light meant for high light plants when (to my knowledge) you're keeping low to mediums?

Already thinking about taking it up a notch. I'd rather spend the extra cash now rather than buy a medium light now and and then upgrade in a month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

20 gallon Q & A build

Already thinking about taking it up a notch. I'd rather spend the extra cash now rather than buy a medium light now and and then upgrade in a month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hm well if you're for sure going to go high tech then I would totally get it. It's a great light, PAR (on the spec sheet provided by brookster somewhere in another thread) is said to be 100+ at 12" depth.
It's got a slew of awesome features too. Hopefully someone with more experience with this light will chime in....

This sheet is blurry but hopefully will help....

I did suggest the pro only because it's a "buy once" type deal. If you have no intention of ever taking it to the next level than the regular plus plus will suffice.

I've decided to start subscribing to fellow AAers on YouTube in order to follow their tanks' progress and learn a little more about the hobby...

Anyway, just letting you know I'm a new YouTube follower/stalker ;) (dependent on how often you add videos to it, lol.)

I looked for Brookster123's acct. to see his/hers since you mentioned it, but couldn't find it. What is the acct. name under?

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Would there be any reason not to go with the plus pro?

You'll have to dim it or else you'll have a massive algae outbreak. Other than that I don't see any reason not too.

You'll have to dim it or else you'll have a massive algae outbreak. Other than that I don't see any reason not too.

Hmmm. Maybe I should just get the plus and if I do end up replacing it I have a spare light for .....................well I'm sure most of you know where I'm going with this statement.

I've decided to start subscribing to fellow AAers on YouTube in order to follow their tanks' progress and learn a little more about the hobby...

Anyway, just letting you know I'm a new YouTube follower/stalker ;) (dependent on how often you add videos to it, lol.)

I looked for Brookster123's acct. to see his/hers since you mentioned it, but couldn't find it. What is the acct. name under?

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Here is a link to where the video is
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/i-made-a-video-yayy-328617.html

Hmmm. Maybe I should just get the plus and if I do end up replacing it I have a spare light for .....................well I'm sure most of you know where I'm going with this statement.

You can always add another, i had great results running 2 sat plus on that hieght tank. If you want the ramp features you'll need to purchase timer separately.

You can always add another, i had great results running 2 sat plus on that hieght tank. If you want the ramp features you'll need to purchase timer separately.

Back
Top Bottom