20 Long Planted Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh wow, it's already planted! Guess I shouldn't be surprised though :lol:

I'll follow you along to see how this grows out!

Glad you think you'll like it, because I'm pretty darn sure I will!

So... this tank kept 'passing gas' for lack of a better word. The substrate was so deep, it kept building up gas, then the house would smell like prime (only 20 times worse) for 30 minutes.

Since this was unacceptable to me, something had to change. What better to change than the substrate?

I started by cleaning the tank:
img_1370081_0_fa7e8631a7bc21a7d4d49161e12c4464.jpg

Then, I put in 2 bags of black floramax and did an 'in tank rinse':
img_1370081_1_332347a37a7f3d220ea8609e1b56075c.jpg

Finally, we're done:
img_1370081_2_6ee676da734381399061bf845580b633.jpg

It's a little cloudy, but I used the packet of 'bio magnet' or whatever it's called, so it should be clear tomorrow.

Worked great when I used it on my 40... I would never buy any chemicals like that, but it seems that most people who buy eco complete or floramax and use it have great results. Is that the same stuff you're talking about?

It was just some bio-magnet cleaner that came with my sand and the stuff Jen used for a bit, didn't work for junk.

Eco/Flora I'm not sure, we'll find out in a few weeks I suppose (y)

Haha, most people say with eco you don't need it... mainly with floramax. I wouldn't have needed it had I used a paper plate, but I didn't want to stir up stuff every time I planted or pulled a plant up.

I'd say! I was very surprised. I had been sitting here on the couch where I can't see it. I got up to go to the kitchen and walked past it, then had one of those moments where I had to turn around to make sure I saw it right. I guess I didn't see results as quickly last time because it was late and I went to bed pretty soon after finishing

Slight change of plans... I think I'm going to go high tech. I'm going to do co2 injection and pps pro autodosers. Anybody want to tell me I'm not crazy?

You're not crazy. Honestly, I think with smaller tanks, high tech works better. Admittedly, I was getting a little bored with my 10g because there was only so much I could do with it. Personally I'm not into high tech, but I guess when you do it right (as you have, I believe), an addiction starts to develop as the possibilities are endless.

Go big or go home, right?

Just to reiterate, you're not crazy. :)

I think a nice low carpet of something and some hardscape would look good. I'm liking the simple 2-3 species per tank look lately.

I'm thinking of ordering some rocks from ADA... the slate just isn't cutting it for me. I was thinking of doing some HC along with the DHG, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of DHG and Blyxa only...

I also changed stands. I was at walmart today and, as always, my wife wanted to go through their 'clearance isle'. I saw a stand and decided that, for $17, it was worth it. It's definitely nothing fancy, but it has a door and looks a lot better than the metal stand it was sitting on.

Back
Top Bottom