2000 Lumens - Low Med or High?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woofwoofgrrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
It would be from 6 LED's spread across the 36 inch length of my 30G long tank. Would that be considered Low- Med- or High light? Or does it depend on how long I keep them on each day?

Thanks!

ok cool. I will preface this with I have not done LED lighting on top of a planted tank... but here is what I would say based on what I have read, and what other forum members are doing/have done:

You could grow medium high or even some high light plants with these lights at full power. Consider adding a potentiometer to the build so you can dial in the appropriate amount of light, depending on whether you plan to dose ferts and add CO2 injection.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/high-power-led-fixture-for-a-planted-tank-141021.html

There is a lot of good info in that thread about a DIY build. You may find it useful... I am sure he wouldn't mind you asking some questions there as well.

Personally I would go with more lower-power LEDs. I don't think you would get good coverage with only six LEDs. You'd get a spot light effect. You can probably grow high-light plants directly under the LED, but the light power will taper off as you move away from the center.

Do you have a specific model of LED in mind? There's a lot of variance in that LED series.

Gah! This this the third time I've written this, I keep hitting the wrong key and blitzing what I've written.

I'm leaning towards the BXRA-W0260 and BXRA-W0360's. They have a 120 degree viewing angle. I'd agree with you if they were the old fashioned LED's with a narrow viewing angle. If I'm interpreting page 12 of the datasheet correctly, only the top 3 inches at the very front and back of my tank will have less than 75% intensity. I also did a coverage chart with the LED's 5.5 inches apart and it looks pretty good - lots of overlap at 20 degrees/95% intensity.

Okay now it submitted before I was done....at least I didn't lose it this time!

Anyway..... the best thing about being DIY, is that if I've completely screwed up my calculations, I can always change things!

I like the potentiometer idea! They will also be switched individually off the DC bus. I don't want to rush into figuring out CO2 and ferts since I'm still figuring out the basics, so the ability to control the light level is a good idea.

I checked out your build thread BigJim - very nice!

It sounds like you did more research and planning than I did for my fixture. I didn't lay out any coverage diagrams. I believe my LEDs are 4" apart and they have a 90 degree viewing angle. I spaced them relatively closely in case I had to use optics to focus the light a bit. It's looking like I overbuilt the fixture for a FW planted tank at the moment.

The potentiometer dimming has been a lifesaver for me. I decided at the last second to add the dimmer based on instructions I found on the web page where I bought the driver. I've been running the tank at 1/2 - 2/3 brightness because I had GSA on the glass after one day of full-power lighting with no CO2 and only Flourish for fertilizer.

Instead of switching the LEDs, you could use transistors and a pot. I'm hoping to eventually go the transistor route and add some IC control for sunrise/sunset and moon phase effects.

Back
Top Bottom