2015 project: living room focal point

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, the reason I did not go with a rimless tank is because I want to do a real canopy on top of this tank.

Brookster? Could that be our next project?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415852777.644767.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah that's cool, if you don't mind spending a lot of extra cash. 2x 24" BML XB would be about $115 more than a single 48" model. And 2x 24" Sat+ would be about $55 more than a single 48". The glass canopy, whether it be temporary or not until that wooden canopy gets built, would only set you back about $35. Hypothetically speaking if you went with the BML + Sat+ combos, you can save $135 right off the bat (granted you don't need split lighting for that wooden canopy to fit), solve the evaporation problem, and have sexy led fixtures on your tank you can see meanwhile. It's only my 2 cents. There's other light options and combos.

Maybe some BML XB users can chime in and attest to their effectiveness as I haven't used them. They seem promising though with color spectra and PAR in mind.

Last edited:
The advantage that I see with 2 24" is diversity. Times go by quickly and having options than can fit on 24" tanks (for plant propagation, betta breeding, you name it) might be a wiser investment.

Do you see a problem having 4 24" Ecoxotic lights on this tank, 2 per side?

I don't see a problem with that other than VERY spendy.... LOL... it'll be awesome. I just hope the red spectrum will penetrate enough to get you the coloration you're looking for in terms of the reds developing, a la Dutch style aquascape.

In the world of high PAR output, is there anything that could give me more intensity than high end LED?

Post #271, pg28, from AlanLe. Dual e-series on a 120p (which is a bit more shallow @ 18" tall). I'll be curious to see if he solves the issue with his Rotala turning green. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=678801. I'd hate to recommend these lights at such a hefty investment if you don't reach your goals. Maybe you can PM him and see if his adjustments to color output and ferts have helped. Maybe that'll help you decide on the lights. It's the taller tank issues... red just can't penetrate unless more of it's supplied, better focused, etc...

Last edited:
I am reading a lot, and it seems that for 24" deep, good reflectors and 2x54W T5HO 48" is the way to go.

I will not make any decisions yet, but it makes sense to read more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll build it if you get a bml;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the real reason for the fluorescent witchhunt?

Is there a way to work with a BML combination that will giveme 60+ PAR at 19-20"?

What is the real reason for the fluorescent witchhunt?

Is there a way to work with a BML combination that will giveme 60+ PAR at 19-20"?

What's the point of buying something that needs bi-yearly bulb replacement, draws 3-4x the power as well... when you can buy an led fixture that runs for 50k hours and can be fully customizable. .there's nothing wrong with t5, just obsolete imho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With T5s in that custom canopy you may need to consider adding fans to diffuse the heat. Depending on the design, heat can build up quickly.
I had a quad T-8 (maybe T-10?) setup in a custom open back canopy over a 55g and when I opened the lid it was like an oven.

Earlier I mentioned a Sat+ & BML XB option.. how about an E-Series & BML option (XB vs. Regular) - add up the PAR, see where that gets you? Maybe on the BML, I'd get more focused optics so the reds hit those plants ;)

So far, I am considering a BML 48" and 2 e-series (24"). The e-series would be posterior to the BML, focusing on background plants while the BML will predominantly focus on going as deep as possible and work on the anterior part of the tank (foreground/carpeting). All overlap of light comes as a bonus.

I will be e-mailing them tonight.

100% sure it will be a canister filter with in-line heater. Still reading about the Eheim 2217. So far that has been the only recommendation. The reviews on Marineland and Fluval are also good, and they all fit within the same budget bracket.

I also have a solid idea of the substrate: 2-3"of organic potting soil with a 1-2" cover of one of these high end soils. Petco river pebbles for the areas that will not be planted. Pretty happy with the results from my triptic tanks.

I see you decided to go with the glass canopy for now. Not sure about the lighting, I'd research some more. For filtration, have you looked at the fluval 406? Maybe a pair of 306's. Keep an eye out for black Friday / cyber Monday deals. I got the 306 on a black Friday deal at petsmart 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom