20G (long) Dirted tank journey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gnarlybr02k12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I finally made it back from surgery and I went out and bought the dirt for my tank! I currently have it on the floor because the 15g that will be getting torn down for this tank is currently using the stand. Tomorrow I am hoping to go and buy PFS to cap the dirt and hopefully I will be able to find some deals on some DW or stones/rocks.

tumblr_meg2if3NJ21qjr5fzo1_500.jpg
The tank will be using my new Nova Extreme T5 X2 Freshwater Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24 Watt

tumblr_meg2krqMi11qjr5fzo1_500.jpg
I did one inch of the dirt and made it into a mud like mixture.

I hear that many people use red clay in their tanks what do you guys think about that? I hear its good for iron levels?

Can't wait to have this set up and running!

Subscribed! I too just put together a 20l dirt tank. Looking forward to seeing your progress. And stealing your ideas. Thanks in advance!

Subscribed! I too just put together a 20l dirt tank. Looking forward to seeing your progress. And stealing your ideas. Thanks in advance!

Thanks! Did you use clay in your dirt? I'll make sure that we share out experiences and learn from each others mistakes and successes.

I've always used clay with mine. I also mineralize it before adding it to the tank. You doing pressurized co2?

I might just add some then! What kind did you use? How do you mineralize it? I'm currently looking for a good system right now but I haven't had much luck without breaking the bank.

I use clay powder, you might be able to find some at a local craft shop or pottery place. Amaco red clay is used by some also, but it's in wet form so it might be a little harder to mix in.

Mineralization is basically just soaking the dirt, laying it out on a tarp to dry for a few days, soaking it, again, drying it again, and repeating the process for a few weeks. It just breaks down all the organics in the soil prior ot putting it in the tank. The benefit is that it usually helps avoid the massive algae bloom that often happens with dirt, and any ammonia from the breakdown of the organics in the soil should already be dealt with in the mineralization process.

Since you already have the soil set up in the tank you could forego this process and do it like a walstad tank, of course.

However walstad tanks tend to be low tech, I think with that amount of light and using soil you are going to have a massive algae outbreak, possibly even with pressurized co2.

I believe the small paintball co2 kits are relatively cheap, but I have not used one.

I agree. 2 T5s over a 20L will need co2. Even with co2 and a short photoperiod that amount of light can make controlling algae tricky. If you go real heavy on initial planting it may help out. I've used a paintball system on my 20H for 5 years. They're indispensable with high light over small tanks.

I did my 220g with dirt, not mineralized and capped with Eco-complete. The trick is you need to pack the tank with plants. And make sure there are alot of quick growing stem plants and water sprite or wisteria as all these are great nutrient absorbers. You will also want to just use 1 bulb on your fixture to start and only for a max of 6-8 hours daily. Also non mineralized soil leeches tannins so alot of WC's in the first couple of weeks and running Purgen in your filter will help remove it. Plus the first 6-8 weeks you will have gas pockets forming in the soil from the organics in the soil breaking down so you need to use something like a BBQ fork to poke around the substrate 2-4 times daily to release these pockets. As stated you also need to use CO2 or at least a liquid carbon like Flourish Excel, Glutaraldehyde, or API CO2 Booster.

Thanks! Did you use clay in your dirt? I'll make sure that we share out experiences and learn from each others mistakes and successes.

Honestly the tank was running 3 months prior to me setting it up. I just took it off a friend's hands whom needed the room.
The only thing I kept was the substrate, which I believe has clay, and cycled filters, both HOB.
I'm also running T5HO fixture with compressed CO2 for 5-6 hours initially.

Well now I feel like a fool for going out and buying this fixture. I have a lot of expenses right now for school and I'm not sure if dropping a pretty penny for a CO2 system would be something I could justify to my parents. Ahh the struggle of being an 18 year old student in this hobby :nono:. What would you guys suggest for me to do now?

jetajockey said:
Just run one bulb, no harm no foul. The good news is if you go high tech later on all you have to do is run both bulbs.

I agree. That's the easiest solution along with simply using glute or Excell. Don't feel bad about buying the light. It's a great fixture, just overkill for this tank with both bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom