20Gal lighting Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dymium

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty sure my thinking on this is sound for now, but I want to double check anyways.

I have a 20L brackish tank that I'm considering planting. I've already decided on some Java moss and Java fern, b/c they're low light low maintinance and can tolerate brackish. However, I'd like other plants that can do well with brackish. My current light is just a plain 1 bulb full range 17Watt light. Normally I would suppose I should follow the 1 WGP rule, but since the height of the tank is the same as a 10 gallon, could I easily get away with using 20 watts for a well lit planted tank?

The WPG "Rule" breaks down over small tanks. You actually need more light over smaller tanks to reach the same lighting levels. For this reason 17 Watts is going to be extremely low light over a 20 gallon whether it's a long or a high. If you stick with your current lighting plan, the two plants you've already listed will be your only options. If you're willing to upgrade your lighting there are quite a few more plant options that you can choose from. I'm guessing that you'll need at least 50-60watts to be able to keep the medium light plants.

So I should probably just look into getting a higher output lighting system (either CF or VHO type lighting?), or are there high watt bulbs I can get for the basic florescent strip I've got?

there are no high light bulbs unfortunatly. u will have to upgrade. CF would be your best bet. look on www.bigalsonline.com to see what is available then look around to find it cheaper and price match. u can usually get a decent system without spending alot. u could also go all the way and get a higher output of light then make a DIY co2 system. actually whether u go high or not u should look into co2. it will benifit your tank no matter what set up u have.

Yeah. I looked around and saw a CF single bulb setup w/ night LED for like 60-70 bucks that puts out 65 watts, which is a little over 3 WGP for my setup. I think I'm gonna save up and go for that one.

If I'm getting plants that need the high light requirements, they sound like they'll need the Co2 injection. I've got plenty of Co2 paintball tanks that I can use, I just need to find a regulator setup.

most regualtors will not fit on a paintball cylinder. i already thought of that lol. the threading is different than the standard thread. and also a paintball cylinder probably wont last all that long. DIY would be more than effective for a 20 gal set up. i have a 20 gal and run 2 2litre bottles with great results. plus it is practically free to do.

If I were to do the DIY setup, would I be able to follow the instructions at the Age of Aquariums, which in a nutshell is sealed 2 liter + hose + airstone? And how would I go about verifying that the proper amount of Co2 is in my tank?

well that is the basic wat of saying it. u can have as many bottles as u want. and the air stone os the diffuser. or in other words what makes the co2 go into your tank. u can get any kind of diffuser u like. u can run it into the intake of your filter if u have a hang o back style. then the bubbles get chewed up by the impeller and spreadfs into your water. there is no "proper" amount. most people aim for around 30 ppm. u figure this out by testing your kh and ph then there is a calculator to type the info into. i am sure someone else will comment further on that.

At 65 Watts or just over 3WPG you would probably have medium light, maybe medium-high light. You'll have to see how the plants to react to be sure. CO2 is advisable in this light range, although it may not be necessary.

There are a few Regulators out there for Paintball canisters, though I have no idea how well they work. I believe Red Sea makes on that is available through DrsFosterSmith. The thing is that the regulator costs as much as a standard regulator. With the increased cost of filling such a small tank, you would probably be better off purchasing a standard Pressurized CO2 setup.

My 20L is 30" long.

And as for the paintball canisters, I have so many extra adapters laying around from my paintball guns I already have the necessary pieces to adapt a standard regulator to my tanks. I however did just see the milwaukee all in one setup and I'm considering that if I decide to do anything more than the DIY setup.

Back
Top Bottom