20L planted goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ktw020

Aquarium Advice Activist
Comments? Advice?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130910_041216.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130910_041216.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 61
Is this a 20g Long or 20 litre? How many goldys? What type of goldys? Whats your filtration?

Long. 4 babies - 1 black moor 2 cal. Fantails and 1 red ryukin. 350 penguin

All four are babies. I have high filtration and do weekly water changes.

Just because you have high filtration and do weekly water changes, doesn't mean you can keep that many goldfish in a 20 gallon tank. It is only suitable for a single fancy goldfish.

Based on? Obviously they will be moved to my pond upon growth. But with suitable water quality there should be an issue.

Shouldn't** I change about 50 percent

Okay that's good to hear. Lets look at it like this. 4 goldfish make x ammount of nitrates. A good nitrate level is 5 to 10. Say your goldys make 60ppm of nitrates per week and your changing 50% of the water, thats taking 30ppm of nitrates out and your left with 30ppm. So next week you habe 90ppm because you were stuck with 30ppm from the week before. See where im getting at? An API Freshwater Master Test Kit can help you see the actual ammount and help you better change water quicker when needed. If I were you, id be doing x2 50% water changes a week in a goldy tank just because of their massive bio-load

It's an accepted rule of thumb to keep 1 fancy goldfish in a 30g tank with an extra fish for every 10 gallons. Even with a weekly 50% water change I would highly suggest buying at least a nitrate test kit for an overstocked goldy tank.

They should get to about 8 inches when fully grown *IF* they have proper care and nutrition.... I honestly wouldn't keep four 8" fish in a 20 long. I personally wouldn't even keep one 8" goldie in a 20 long.
I see that you will be moving them, but how do you know they have suitable water quality if you don't test the water?

Again, they will be move to a pond. It would be rather stupid to try to fit full grown goldfish in a low 20 gallon. That rule of thumb is based on a required filter. Some Nitrates turn into plant food. Thats how I can keep 4 fancy in a 20 gallon.
P.S. this is experienced based, not something you read off the internet. I know what I am doing. Im looking for more information on success in planting. Not info for noobs to the hobby.

Again, they will be move to a pond. It would be rather stupid to try to fit full grown goldfish in a low 20 gallon. That rule of thumb is based on a required filter. Some Nitrates turn into plant food. Thats how I can keep 4 fancy in a 20 gallon.
P.S. this is experienced based, not something you read off the internet. I know what I am doing. Im looking for more information on success in planting. Not info for noobs to the hobby.

How do you know your nitrates without a test kit?

It would take waaaaay too many plants to lower nitrates in a goldfish tank then what you think it takes. Thats why most plantes tanks are small fish with tiny bio-loads and shrimp because there is virtually no bio-load

Then explain to me how my tank is clean and goldfish and plants are healthy?

Then explain to me how my tank is clean and goldfish and plants are healthy?

Just because it looks clean doesnt mean it is. Looks are very deceiving. A tesr kit will show the truth and thats the only way to know for sure. Its only 15 bucks online. Not a bad investment either as it does last for a few years

Back
Top Bottom