20Long planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to get some of these clamps as well. Watched a few youtube videos of nice planted tanks using them. Set up cost under $45. 4 clamps, 4 bulbs.

I wanted to do two over my 46 gal bow, & two over my 10 gal. 13 watts 5000k cfl bulbs? for both of them?

Ohhhhh. Ooops. Haha. I though they for a 20 long for some reason. Lol! Umm I would go 13w over the 10 gallon, and maybe even 20w over the 46. You may need another on the 46 because I think it's significantly longer.

Ohhhhh. Ooops. Haha. I though they for a 20 long for some reason. Lol! Umm I would go 13w over the 10 gallon, and maybe even 20w over the 46. You may need another on the 46 because I think it's significantly longer.

Oh, no that's the OP thread, I'm not the Op lol. I was just asking. Sorry :p.

Well I already have a huge light that goes across the 46. So I think two would be sufficient. & okay thanks for the info !

When I do dirted tanks, which are about 1/2 of the tanks I have I prefer to have 1-1/2 inches of Organic Potting Soil with 1-1/2 inches of my cap. Also save some cap to use as touch ups after plantings. I have used Just Natural Organic Potting Soil which is about $3 for 1 cu ft that I get at Lowes. As long as you buy something that says Organic Potting Soil your good. I don't even bother sifting out the chunks anymore unless they are large and I just hand pick them out. If you do decide to go dirted you really need to read up on them. The first 4-6 weeks they are more work and more WC's need to be done to deal with leaching of tannins. You also have a few weeks of excess nutrients being released from the initial breakdown of the soil and gas pockets. Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil tends to release the least amount of tannins compared to other brands I've tried. If this is your first planted tank you might want to go with a more standard substrate and try a dirted tank down the road. There is nothing at all wrong with Floramax but do rinse it well.

Flora max is like the cheap version of eco complete. And eco complete is the cheap version of aquasoil (not that its a bad product). It breaks down super quick and has a very low nutrient content. It's not worth the money.

I don't agree that it breaks down quickly at all. I have some in a tank that is 5 years at least and it has not changed, crumbled, or broken down in any way. Plus since it has a high CEC, as all commercial substrates do, so it's able to absorb nutrients from the detris and water column and hold them for use by plants. I run high light to low light tanks and all my plants do great in it.

I don't agree that it breaks down quickly at all. I have some in a tank that is 5 years at least and it has not changed, crumbled, or broken down in any way. Plus since it has a high CEC, as all commercial substrates do, so it's able to absorb nutrients from the detris and water column and hold them for use by plants. I run high light to low light tanks and all my plants do great in it.

Thanks rivercats! I got the miracle grow organics and some pfs. I didnt know it leeched tanins? How bad? So I take it that its unsafe for a betta right now?

No tannins aren't harmful at all and are coming mostly from the peat in the organic soil. Tannins actually have antibacterial and antifungal properties and are good for fish that aren't hard water loving. You just might have to do a couple extra WC's or use carbon or purgen in your filter as both will remove tannins.

No tannins aren't harmful at all and are coming mostly from the peat in the organic soil. Tannins actually have antibacterial and antifungal properties and are good for fish that aren't hard water loving. You just might have to do a couple extra WC's or use carbon or purgen in your filter as both will remove tannins.

Sweet! Dont go far! I know ill need your help soon again! Whats a decent light for a 20long with 3 inches of substrate?

What are you wanting it for? High light, medium or low? Planted?

Im going for high light. I have a florescent t8 tube light but definitely can upgrade to HO if needed. The light will be around 10inches from.the substrate

It's really easy to get high light in such a shallow tank. You could probably do 2 T8 tubes, one of the LED's for planted tanks, or even a couple CFL screw in bulbs. 2 T5HO's can be done over a 20L as I have such a set up BUT be warned use 1 6000-6700K bulb and one pink rosette bulb AND you have to use liquid carbon daily or CO2. I can help you with liquid carbon dosing once you get a light. With a 2 bulb T5HO fixture using the bulbs I suggested you can grow pretty much anything!

It's really easy to get high light in such a shallow tank. You could probably do 2 T8 tubes, one of the LED's for planted tanks, or even a couple CFL screw in bulbs. 2 T5HO's can be done over a 20L as I have such a set up BUT be warned use 1 6000-6700K bulb and one pink rosette bulb AND you have to use liquid carbon daily or CO2. I can help you with liquid carbon dosing once you get a light. With a 2 bulb T5HO fixture using the bulbs I suggested you can grow pretty much anything!

Sweeeeeeeet! Heck ya!!! I was planing on putting a 6500k t8 for now till I decide to get the T5HO. Yes itll come with the rosette bulb and a 6700k I believe

I'm confused, do you want suggestions for lighting or not? It's come up in this thread twice now.

Nope I dont. Ir came up because someone keeps refering to it. Im getting the aquaticlife t5h0. Im keeping this t8 til then

Back
Top Bottom