23L Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am using the 'Fluval Edge' HOB filter that comes with it.. And for CO2 I have a homemade system that cost me like £5 ($7ish) to make, that i will be installing tomorrow.

May I just add the HC is actually pearling without CO2 atm. Though that might be because I have just planted them. Thank Coleallensmom!

You say you just got the plants, so it might still be living of reserve that it got from the shop or distributer's tanks. They will soon require more.

To be really succesfull with a nano-tank you need CO2 and ferts. There is no way the plants will get enough from just 1 or 2 fish.

What kind of substrate do you have going in there? Gravel on sand or some other layered setup?

Just an observation, but I think the HC bush over to the side is going to be wanting for light. It looks like it's outside the emanation from the new bulbs by quite a bit. Is that what it's actually like or does it just look like that in the picture?

Sand on 'AquaBasisPlus' substrate.

And the new bulbs have not come in the post yet, though they have been dispatched. So hopefully they shall come in the next few days. Though you are right that corner is a little dark. When I have replaced the bulbs and if it is still dark I will have to have a move about.

Ah. I assumed you had the new lights because your older pictures looked much darker than some of the new ones.

Have you considered breaking the HC bunches up into little clusters? They might grow better like that

To be honest the flash was on when I took this on and I had a desk light on.

I did try breaking the HC up more but it felt like i was damaging the roots because it was grown quite compact.

Just installed the homemade CO2 system, with a wooden chopstick diffuser at the end. Will post some pictures up tomorrow after it has been running for a little while and is producing CO2.

Lights have not yet arrived, though i'm confident the should come on monday (Typical English post).

Also ordered some LED strip (tape) lights to put around the edge to provide ample lighting to the dark corners!

Link below:
LED strip lights - Cool white 6000k

So here are some pictures of the DIY CO2 system I have..

Bottle:
- 2L
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 ts of baking power
- 1/2 ts of baking yeast ( Plus a little more for good luck ;) )

Bubble Counter:
- An old 'bath salt' tube thing my sister had >.<
- Half full of water
- One end of 'blue' tube submersed (to see bubbles)

Diffuser:
- About 2cm/1 inch of a wooden chopstick
- I whittled it down to the outside diameter of the tube (so it was still too big to fit in)
- Then I boiled the end of the tube for a few seconds so that it was more stretchy/flexible
- then I slowly managed to squeeze the chopstick into the end
- This enables a snug fit and makes sure no CO2 can leak

Attachments

• SS101429.jpg
    SS101429.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 125
  • SS101432.jpg
    SS101432.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 128
  • SS101434.jpg
    SS101434.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 136
  • SS101428.jpg
    SS101428.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 147
You say that while the plants are still alive! Haha.
I don't know whether to use ferts or not? If so what ones that will not effect the shrimp when I get them?

When it comes to macro nutrients I'm a firm believer in dry ferts. For my 30gal I used KNO3 (saltpeter), KCl (No-Salt) and lenolax (fleet-enema, sodium phosphate). All you get from your local pharmacy and my 500ml mixture I've been using for 3 months now and its not even halfway through the bottle. I've got a thread about how I use it. But that's more trial-and-error through EI methods.

As for micro ferts try Seachem Flourish. Only hear good things about it.

And regarding the shrimp, unfortunately I can't give an opinion since shrimps are blacklisted over here. But the plants will use the ferts up so fast with lights and CO2 driving them, I don't see any problem with it.

LED strip lights have come today! Took a while for me to workout how to wire them up they they are here never the less.. I shall wire them up properly tomorrow as I have a Biology exam tomorrow morning and best to some last minute revision ;)

Also ordered some 'Seachem Flourish' today so all is fitting into place!

Funds permitting, it's also a good idea to have a bottle of excel around. You never know when you might have an issue with algae, and that stuff kicks it like nothing else can.

Back
Top Bottom