23L Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys!

This is the start of my first planted aquarium journey so I thought I would blog it.
It is a 23L 'Fluval Edge' tank, and at the moment it is cycling.

Flora planned:
- Baby Dwarf tears (HC)
- Flame Moss
- Dwarf Hairgrass
- Dwarf Sagittaria
(Some might say I like dwarfs >.< )

Fauna planned:
- Amano Shrimp
- Cardinal Tetra

I will add pictures of plants/decor/stock as and when I get them.

Please feel free to follow/help me on my journey! =)

What are you planning on using as a light? I'm pretty sure the stock light won't grow those plants...

Following along it should be a good build!

It came with 2x 10w halogen lights (3.3wpg)
However i am considering changing to LEDs not 100% sure yet.

Thanks for the follow =)

I bought some bog wood to be the main feature within my tank. In order to get rid of the tannin's, that turn the water brown, I boiled it for 2 hours. Replacing the water after 1 hour and continued. You can clearly see how much colour has come out!

Attachments

• SS101402.jpg
    SS101402.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 171
  • SS101407.jpg
    SS101407.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 155
  • SS101410.jpg
    SS101410.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 167
  • SS101411.JPG
    SS101411.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 154
no! don't put the wood in yet! i boiled my driftwood in for around 4 hours and it still turned the water a yellowish color!

I haven't yet.. It's still soaking in a bucket =) I read somewhere that you have to soak it for a week if not more!

Ordered some new MR11 LED bulbs today to replace the halogen ones. There are many reasons why I replaced them:
- LEDs are much brighter.
- LEDs cover a greater area (the halogens were like spot light beams).
- LEDs are cheaper to run.
- LEDs last longer.

I got them from here -> www.LEDwholesalers.com - Brightest MR11 12 V 10 SMD LED Wide Angle
By far the cheapest place to get them. Even if you live in the UK!

You may not get as good of growth from those lights, I've read organic LED or OLEDS are the plant spectrum LEDs. But curious how it goes nonetheless, good luck! :)

Just looked into them.. They are way out of my price range! Plus the ones I have got, I have seen other people with and they fit into the lighting system.

Yeah sorry you're absolutely right, just read up some more on your LEDs.

Some of the plants I ordered from my LFS have come in.. Just driven over to pick them up, I am happy now! =D

Will post pictures up in a little while.

Back
Top Bottom