240 gallon planted beast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently met some 20 year old Clown loaches. They were so lively I just never would have guessed their age. If I had the right set up I think they would be great to have. So playful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I recently met some 20 year old Clown loaches. They were so lively I just never would have guessed their age. If I had the right set up I think they would be great to have. So playful!

The smaller species of botia are verymuch like clown loaches in temperment, and don't need quite as much space. Some can even be in as small as a 30 gallon (botia striata).

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I've pretty much banned myself from any new fish because of my recent build and purchases. No qt tank open or space in an existing. Maybe one day when I get my act together. Thank for suggesting a smaller non tank buster species. I know virtually nothing about any kind of loaches.

Thanks everyone! I think when they're all together it will be better....curious while I have you all here with loaches- has anyone every had a really really skinny loach? The one in qt is. Like really skinny.

By the time the new roselines are out of qt I will add these 4 to the 8 I have and have 12 too- I love those guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442496617.379931.jpg

Here's the skinny one and the fat one with the red spot together. I thought the spot was something to be concerned about. I still don't know what it is, but a friend has loaches and they all have it so idk. But the other is super super skinny!

View attachment 278129

Here's the skinny one and the fat one with the red spot together. I thought the spot was something to be concerned about. I still don't know what it is, but a friend has loaches and they all have it so idk. But the other is super super skinny!

The spot is nothing to worry about, just a pattern variation. The super skinny one has what my loach book refers to as "chronic wasting disease". Is the skinny fish eating? I recommend giving him food soaked in praziquantel and seeing it that improves things. Otherwise.... not sure he'll make it, that looks pretty far gone.

Some have also reported success treating with kanamycin,since CWD can be bacterial in origin.

Last edited:
The spot is nothing to worry about, just a pattern variation. The super skinny one has what my loach book refers to as "chronic wasting disease". Is the skinny fish eating? I recommend giving him food soaked in praziquantel and seeing it that improves things. Otherwise.... not sure he'll make it, that looks pretty far gone.

Some have also reported success treating with kanamycin,since CWD can be bacterial in origin.

Im treating with food soaked in metronidazole suspecting that he might have internal hexamita ....he's eating maybe even a little better than before now. He would try to eat and then spit food out (another sign of hex) and now it seems like he keeps more down....

Im treating with food soaked in metronidazole suspecting that he might have internal hexamita ....he's eating maybe even a little better than before now. He would try to eat and then spit food out (another sign of hex) and now it seems like he keeps more down....

That's a good plan. I might try using prazi as well in case it turns out to be something different (or, not necessarily uncommon with loaches, a whole bunch of different things at once). Prazi is pretty easy on fish so I wouldn't worry about the combination.

Skinny loach also appears to have red gills?
Possibly the praziquantel is a good med choice first.(Treat whole QT).
As far as wasting disease it may also be camalanus if you have noted any worms?
Most common meds won't touch it if it is .
Levamisole HCI is chosen treatment for calmalanus and I wonder if it would work for other issues.
The kanamycin(I would run along with furan) would be a good antibiotic route if bacterial is suspected.
Glad you are using QT!!
This link may help you or answer other questions.
Many Hats of Me: My Quarantine Process for New Aquarium Fish

I don't risk it any more. I have 70 fish in my 240 gallon and not only is it cruel to risk them its also a lot of fish and some EXPENSIVE meds if 240 gallons comes down with something...

I haven't noticed any worms, though I don't know if you can tell, but his black (anal fin?) on the bottom is gone. I am actually treating callamanus in my 55 gallon display with fenbendazole and that worked like a charm. I will go out and get some prazipro tomorrow. He does have reddish gills (flukes maybe?) I have that available (usually) locally...but if not I can but praziquantel powder on eBay for like $20 so Id be better off getting that long term...I could dose Prazi in the water column and metro in food...then maybe just in case deworm them with the fen....the fish with callamanus escaped a month long qt without detected worms and that's how I introduced it....

If you know you have camalanus somewhere in your fish tanks I would be going with levamisole HCI .
Fen has been proven less then effective long term(or short ) for C.
Tropical Fish Information
Hit the camalanus treatment .
Charles is the MAN when it comes to treatments..

Is there a common name for levamisole that I could find locally? I read that fen was a great alternate med (I can't seem to find local levamisole) in any case- I don't see more worms lol

Is there a common name for levamisole that I could find locally? I read that fen was a great alternate med (I can't seem to find local levamisole) in any case- I don't see more worms lol

I think it's available at feed stores as pig and goat wormer. Maybe I'm thinking of a different med? Someone else should know though

the link I offered is for Charles Harrison/AKA inkmaker.
He sells levamisole and other meds.
The link ,info provided in it and the meds from Charles is why I posted his info.
He is where you could get levamisole besides any ebay seller who knows less(I almost certain) and sells whatever strength......

Back
Top Bottom