26g Bow Front - My First Dutch Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Bill!

@Janis & Mary - yes, that photo is from Tom Barr's ditch ADA Dutch scape. That ET really contrasts well with the non-green plants.

Update...

My params are:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20ppm
Phosphate = 2ppm

I don't know that gives here... I had two black neons, 1 otto, and 1 cherry barb die within two days. I also have some BGA developing on the sand. Any clues? Could the toxins in BGA kill fish? I just bought some Maracyn for the BGA, do i dose as directed or a smaller amount for BGA?

On the bright side, some of my melted Elatine Triandra survived. It's started to grow so I'm hoping to get a carpet out of it. And the colors are developing more in my stem plants. :)

Dose the Maracyn as directed. What is it 1 package per 10g of water? For 5 days.

As for the fish deaths, I'm not sure. Is the BGA really heavy? I know it can be toxic but I thought and I could be wrong it had to be in higher amounts. Are you still having problems with nitrates? The only time I ever notice nitrates raising in my tanks is when the sponges in my canisters haven't been cleaned for too long.

Yes its 1 package per 10g. I only have an 8 pack though so i wouldn't have enough. The BGA is not that much..its covering just the sand area which is only about 7x4"...something like that. Seems like my nitrates raised a bit. Guess I'll do a partial water change and clean the filter before i start the Maracyn treatment.

Well day 3 of the Maracyn treatment to kill the BGA. Seems like its working.

Another observation.. The full spectrum LED versus all white daylight LEDs via my Finnex Ray 2, has produced noticeably nicer coloration in my stems. Only wish is that i had a little more intensity but with the same full spectrum color output.

If you guys recall, here's what happened with 2x Ray 2's with approx. 80 PAR. Very green! BGA all over that sand! Lol

ForumRunner_20130601_124045.jpg

Then with full spectrum LEDs, increase dosing in micros and phosphates to 2ppm.

ForumRunner_20130601_124254.jpg

My sad looking melted ET.

Screenshot_2013-06-01-12-28-38.jpg

ET on the rebound.. Here's to hoping it takes off and gives me a carpet!

ForumRunner_20130601_124507.jpg

Now... BGA go away! Lol

Yeah, told you I've been lazy! Haha... Your tank is immaculate..mine has been sloppy. With your OCD and all, must make you dizzy looking at my tanks! Haha... I'll turn things around soon. Just trying to get things balanced, get rid of some algae and BGA. I'll give it some TLC after. Changing lights and changing my fert dosing a bit is like re-learning this tank. Don't you worry though, i got you Bill! Your 12L has motivated me to stop being lazy bro! LOL

Yeah, told you I've been lazy! Haha... Your tank is immaculate..mine has been sloppy. With your OCD and all, must make you dizzy looking at my tanks! Haha... I'll turn things around soon. Just trying to get things balanced, get rid of some algae and BGA. I'll give it some TLC after. Changing lights and changing my fert dosing a bit is like re-learning this tank. Don't you worry though, i got you Bill! Your 12L has motivated me to stop being lazy bro! LOL

Speaking of being lazy... Mine desperately needs a trim... I'm not looking forward to hc floating everywhere...

Anyone know what's wrong with this baby red lotus? The tip of the leaf is becoming translucent.

ForumRunner_20130604_134847.jpg

I have seen that on occasion on a leaf or two of mine and I just cut the leaf off and add a couple root tabs. Yours is little enough 1 root tab should be fine... lol!

I noticed two types of leaves on red lotus: one is more round, heart shaped while the other has a more aggressive edge, more live a "V" shape. Which one is shooting for the surface?

I noticed two types of leaves on red lotus: one is more round, heart shaped while the other has a more aggressive edge, more live a "V" shape. Which one is shooting for the surface?

The more rounded ones that just shoot up overnight are the surface leaves that need to be kept cut off.

Back
Top Bottom