26g Bow Front - My First Dutch Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone!

@Rcguerra - it's alternanthera reineckii. I'll see how it works out. If i find it difficult to keep it compact, I'm thinking of putting a red tiger lotus there.

Thanks everyone!

@Rcguerra - it's alternanthera reineckii. I'll see how it works out. If i find it difficult to keep it compact, I'm thinking of putting a red tiger lotus there.

I think the Tiger Lotus would fit that spot perfectly as kind of a centerpiece plant.

That is, of course, if you can manage to keep it from getting too big :) haha

@Billbug68 - I like the way the Finnex fixture looks. It has a sleek aluminum quality build to it. It gives the tank a high tech feel IMO.Therefore, I'd prefer to not cover it. But the way this tank is built, with the kit fixture and hood, it looks pretty easy to get a strip of leds like the Ecoxotic Panorama LED's or Current TrueLumen Pro LED Striplight, and put those bad boys in there in the way you described.
Don't get me wrong, I love to fixture and its
Looks. Was simply stating that IMO, it would be in keeping with the tone of the stock hood setup if you could hide it like that. Kinda like a sleeper lighting setup.

Everything looks great, you definitely have developed a distinct style to you aquascaping. (y)

I was wondering if you think I could try something like the substrate mixing with black gravel and a bit if tan or whitegravel! I am really liking your tank,and also, if you clean it will it gertmixed in?

@Billbug68 - I know what you mean... I'm all about concealment and trying to make things as clean looking as possible (when and if I can). Who knows, the fixture might mysteriously turn black one day :)

@CharlieKlein - usually in heavily planted tanks with substrate geared towards growing plants, you don't usually disturb the substrate as you would typical gravel. When I do partial water changes, I'll hardly stick the gravel vac in the substrate if at all. When the mulm builds up from fish poop and decaying plants, it just becomes part of the soil and fertilizes the plants. I suppose down the road there will be a point of diminishing return and I'll probably have to break the whole thing down and rescape... but for the most part, it shouldn't mix much. Plus, I don't plan to keep any fish that like to disturb the substrate either.

Thanks! It'll be in a lightly planted, so I might still be in the gravel, and I'll have Cory's, will they disturbe it?

Gravel tends to be heavy in comparison to other substrates. I don't think the corys will bother it that much. Floramax, the substrate I used on this build, is super light and can get disturbed fairly easy.

Update... 1 Week Since Planted

I arrived at my parents' house to find the tank a bit cloudy. I did a 50% PWC which helped tremendously with the cloudiness. It's good that I seeded the Fluval 306 with a well seasoned bag of BioMax from my 10g dwarf puffer tank so all my parameters checked out. I couldn't find any Koi Angels around at the LFS's but found a pair of gold marble veil angels and a black one. I'll rehome once they get too big for this tank.

8256141587_d7b152c60b_b.jpg

8257211374_f7884791b1_b.jpg

The Angel Juvies :)
8257211316_ec7fa9ca2f_b.jpg

8256327929_6f035c824c_b.jpg

Crazy nice tank. I would've avoided the angels in a tank this size myself. I just never understood stocking fish that'll need to be rehoused later. They're very beautiful though. :)

What's the stocking for this?

Very limited right now since the 3 angels will outgrow this tank. Perhaps when that time comes, I'll probably get a Cockatoo Cichlid or something around the same size as the centerpiece fish (i.e. GBR's or Apistos). I'm thinking Cardinal tetras for for a small schooling dither fish (5+). And MAYBE some Otos and Panda Corydoras.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Very limited right now since the 3 angels will outgrow this tank. Perhaps when that time comes, I'll probably get a Cockatoo Cichlid or something around the same size as the centerpiece fish (i.e. GBR's or Apistos). I'm thinking Cardinal tetras for for a small schooling dither fish (5+). And MAYBE some Otos and Panda Corydoras.

That would be a great stock list!

The tank looks AMAZING! Sorry I haven't been around. AA stopped sending me email notifications so I've missed out.

It looks absolutely beautiful. The way you had the sand in the middle of the black substrate looks great and has inspired me to do something like it one day. Do you use a divider in the substrate to keep them apart?

Definitely go for some otos or cories. I love them both! I'm getting some otos in the future and have some cories.

Perhaps just go all out with the dwarf theme!

Once those Angels get moved, get a nice Apisto trio, some Cardinals, and some Habrosus Corydoras :)

@Bettafantatic - Thank you... glad you're here :) Anyway... I probably should have used some kind of divider. I just separated the Floramax and created a channel. I then just filled that area with sand. It seems to be holding together... time will tell but it might very well mix eventually?

@Predfan - I'd love the idea of an Apisto trio. I've had an apisto before but he was just grey-bluish. IF I can ever find some Apistogramma Agassizi 'Flame Red'... I'd be all over it in a heartbeat! Check these guys out on this youtube vid... wow!
Apistogramma Agassizi 'Flame Red' at Tyne Valley Aquatics (near Newcastle) - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom