26g Bow Front - My First Dutch Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well here I go again... another tank and another scape... MTS has fully taken over! I want this tank to be super colorful with contrasting colors. I decided to use Dutch Style Aquascaping as my base but I've incorporated some Iwagumi style stones along with a nice piece of Manzanita. I really like the sandy cove I created on my 6g project, so I'll be implementing something similar but different. I was originally planning on the getting the 36g Bow Front but settled on the 26g because of the awesome deal I got on a better looking stand. Plus when you add in the cost of extra substrate, extra fert dosing, and larger light fixture, the 26g was a better value. This tank is actually my gift to my parents but I agreed to set it up, scape it, and teach my dear old Mom on how to trim and maintain it (I'll be doing the PWC's though). Their house is filled with Oak and Pine furniture so this tank fits their style better than my own... So here we go :)

The Skinny (Already Acquired and In-Progress / Planning):

Hardware:
Tank - Aqueon 26 Gallon Bow Front (Dimensions: 24"L x 15"W x 21"H)
Light - Finnex 24" Ray 2 (20 Watts: 192 HO LEDs, 7000k daylight)
Filter - Fluval 306
Heater - Aqueon 100w
CO2 - Aquatek mini regulator for paintball, Fluval Diffuser, and UP Aqua Drop Checker

Substrate: Floramax, Caribsea White Sand, and Flourish Root tabs.
Hardscape: Yamaya Stone and Manzanita.

Planned and available Flora:
-Rotala Colorata
-Pogestemon Erectus
-Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
-Ludwigia sp. 'Red'
-Staurogyne Repens
-Valisneria Spiralis
-Dwarf Hair Grass (E. Parvula)
-Hygrophila Angustifolia
-Hydrocotyle Tripartita sp. Japan
-Flame moss
-alternanthera reineckii
-cabomba palaeformis
-cyperus helfiri
-rotala rotundifolia
-cabomba caroliniana
-persicaria kawagoeanum
-rotala "Vietnam"
-anubias sp. petite
-Downoi

Planned Fauna:
2 Juvenile Koi Angels (will re-home when grown), Cardinals, and Corries.

Dosing:
PPS-Pro with GLA Dry Ferts, Flourish Root Tabs, and diluted Glutaraldehyde (Excel alternative...Big thanks to Rivercats for pointing out this stuff).

Pics:
8220252858_0a8105563a_c.jpg

Had to saw the Manzanita to trim it down to size... I also cut off some sharp points and sanded them down so they wouldn't potentially hurt livestock. I also had an extra piece of lava stone that had a drilled hole in the middle. This will provide a good anchoring point for the wood so I can tie it down with some fishing line in case it decides it wants to float.
8219172293_c4ab1f706c_c.jpg

This is not the exact layout but just wanted to put the stones and the manzanita in the tank to get an idea of the direction I'm going with this... I will be burying the lava stone that's anchoring the manzanita. I plan on adding in some substantial slopes to add dimension....
8219172321_a6465afcb0_c.jpg

More on the way... stay tuned! (y)

That's a great looking piece of manzanita there. Looking forward to updates!

The driftwood looks great. Definitely subscribing, as your tank journals are always the most interesting. Can't wait to see how this turns out. It should be fantastic!

Also, I thought Dutch style really didn't include rocks? They are more of texture through plants with a minimal amount of driftwood type layout? Either way, it still looks like a very promising start!

I've seen Dutch tanks that have both rock and wood. They're usually so heavily planted that any hardacape gets downplayed. Not always though. Most Dutch tanks these days try to contrast the hardscape with their plants so as to set-off the wood or rock while still working with some of the foundational elements of the Dutch approach. People seem to feel free to mix in elements of strict styles in their own way. It's a cool time to be a part of the hobby.

Thanks everyone! That's why i like to throw the word "inspired" in my title because I'm far from a traditionalist and it allows me some wiggle room to deviate from my original path. For instance, my 6g started as an Iwagumi base but turned into something else...LOL In fact, I'm still learning and knowing I'll just go with the flow and improvise things as I go along. I just know i want to use Dutch Aquascaping as my inspiration and foundation... Who knows, this might just turn into another nature style scape? But during Black Friday, i scored some pretty colorful plants. Coupled with my other flora, i have a nice palette of colors to with with.

I guess I didn't have the forethought to check for aquarium stuff on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Who had the deals and what did you get? I did manage to score a Fluval 105 canister filter for 55 thought :)

The main reason for me at getting up at 6AM was to be at Petsmart when they opened at 7AM for a Fluval 306 for $80. However, on my drive there my GF was looking for Amazon deals on her iPhone and it just so happened they also had a Fluval 306 on "lighting deals". When she told me about it, it was 5min till when Amazon was going to release it, so i pulled over and loaded it on my phone. Literally in that short amount off time it was already 50% claimed. By the time i checked out it was 80% claimed. All said and done, released for $80, sold out in less than 10 minutes. After i purchased it, i drove to Petsmart for the heck of it, they only had one 306 and that sold out instantly... There were like 5 other aquarium enthusiasts that weren't so lucky. I felt bad and i didn't even mention the Amazon deal, didn't want to make them feel even worse...LOL can't believe that Petsmart only had one 306 and they advertised it as a door buster.. I would have been T'd off, but obviously because i still got one at even a better price, I'm a happy camper. I lucked out on that Amazon lighting deal.. Saved on tax and shipping (prime member) :)

Other deals... Stand was at a LFS for $100 (was $160). Plants were buy one get one free (equal or lesser value). Tank was just on sale for $124 (originally $144). 2 bags of Floramax for $20 (not really a deal, but a good value).

Yeah exactly... but NO, you're not a chump... EC is a great substrate too! I just think with Floramax you get more bang for your buck since you're not paying for the liquid weight.

The light fixture (Finnex Ray 2 - 24"), Aquatek Co2, Fluval 306, and other equipment arrived today. I'll probably start setting up on Friday :)

8228693520_fc9c1b9eef_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom