29 gal substrate help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am ordering materials for my new 29 gal planted tank. I have several questions:

Is 55lbs of substrate a good amount for 29 gal?

May I mix both Eco complete (20lbs) and Flourite (15.4lbs) and top with a layer of CaribSea fine gravel (called peace river)? Am I better off with one or the other under the gravel?

Should I also put down 55oz of laterite clay on the very bottom?

I already have a bag of gravel, should I buy another for an even top layer?

Thnks for any help, I'm using a fluorescent 20w hood light and mostly Anubias and lowlight plants.

That's quite a mix there. Usually 2 lbs. gravel per gallon of water to get a 2" substrate if I remember right. I personally wouldn't mix Eco and Flourite. And if you use Flourite you need to rinse the heck out of it. If you really want to use all of the above I would do Flourite for the first layer, your laterite clay, the Eco, and then an inch of gravel (which would be about 29 pounds worth). Just curious why so many different types of substrate.

If you have standard T8 fluorescent bulbs you should go to Lowes, Home Depot, or a hardware store and find some type of Plant Grow bulb, or one that says 6700K color range.

I recommend just using Eco complete capped with some regular gravel
you could do some of that red clay/laterite on the bottom but you woul probably want some nutrient absorbers like water sprite. the stuff grows like crazy under moderate light and would do fine under low

Ha, yeah I suppose it was overkill. I garden a lot out on my deck in California and I always try to go for the most soil I can fit into really huge containers!

I recently set up a planted ten gallon and used 20lbs of inert coarse sand(peace river) and it didn't seem overly "deep" to me. That tank leaked the day I finished the cycle and filled her up to the top. I was pretty P. O. 'd, but I realized only 5-6 plants and she looked like she was full, and they hadn't even grown in yet!

I knew I wanted to have a lot to play with, just like my deck that I replant 2-3 times a year (love CA, no frost nana) and my Betta would look even more beautiful with a wall of green a few feet wide to swim in. I heard of a sale on tanks and here I am...

If you garden alot have you ever considered a "dirted" tank. My 220g has 1-1/2" of Just Natural Organic potting soil capped with 1-1/2" of eco complete. Since you garden you already know how well plants grow in good dirt. Not pushing it but you should do some research if the concept intrigues you.

If your just planning on getting low light plants a special substrate is a waste of money IMO because it won't really make a difference in the way they grow.

Rivercats - I use organic potting soil with no chemicals and occasionally add Eleanor's VF-11 liquid fertilizer to my watering cans. It is 0.15 - 0.85 - 0.55, I wonder if it would harm the fish? I just ordered flourish root tabs which should suffice.

calfishguy - I plan on trying to grow as many varieties of plants as I can collect and my strategy is to toss everything that dies and move on to the next. I keep my garden in bloom that way and I never have to look at a plant that is on it's way out. On the side of my house I keep a "graveyard" of plants I toss on the pile with dirt and roots attached so some of them make a total recovery after months of neglect. I have a few large vases with amazon swords that are not happy but are getting sunlight and possibly a big trim soon, so I am trying to apply my methods and keep expectations easy-breezy.

Plus anubias look like fun to collect, I love the dark leaves, like a philodendron.

Oops Mods this is a duplicate thread, perhaps they can be merged? I posted this one from my iphone a few days ago and the app froze up and later from home I checked and couldn't find it.

As long as it is plain ole "organic potting soil", not organic planting mix. Mix has all those additives you don't want. Many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. I have used the Just Natural Organic Potting Soil from Lowes for years in my garden and in the potted planted (lilies) that go in our ponds. I knew it was safe because it's just plain organic soil. So if that is what you have it should be fine. Two things you need to know. One most, not all, organic soils are going to leech heavy in the beginning. What I did was added my soil (1-1/2"), smashed it down as tight as possible, then added barely enough water to make it wet, not soggy or swimming, just squishy wet, smash it down some more, cap with whatever you want (1-1/2"), then place a big plate on top of cap and very slowly fill with water. I ran my filter as soon as filled, use carbon or purgen to help with tannin removal. Then each day for 7 days I drained and filled the tank 100%, by day 4 the tannins were getting less (at least I could see the tank back in the mornings), so keep up the WC's and keep running the filter. On day 8 I drained the tank, filled 1/2 full, planted heavily (from front to back solid), finished filling, turned on lights, ran filter. I did about a 1/3 WC's every couple days for about 2 weeks again to help with tannins and to help remove excess nutrients. Then that was it. Another thing, point two, is you will get gas build up in the soil for about a month, alot for the first 2-3 weeks, so use a BBQ meat fork or something similar that you can go around poking the soil a few times a day. This releases any gas build up from the organic soil breaking down. Eventually this will stop. Something else is you will get diatoms really quickly with all the nutrients the soil releases so don't panic. My tank was fully cycled by day 10 and I put one of my bristlenose pleco's in to take care of things. Plus if you can get some water sprite to plant and leave in for a couple months, this plant will grow like a weed and will also help remove excess nutrients from the water. You can take this plant out in about 3 months and plant something else if you want to. Your swords will love the excess nutrients in the beginning also. I had two 12" amazon swords that I planted and they grew out of the top of my tank within 2-3 weeks. Caution, put the swords where you want them, in soil with their vast root systems you will trash a dirt tank trying to remove them! Crypts will also grow great and usually without melt in dirt. Both swords and crypts can do lower light, which you can upgrade later if you want. Water sprite will also be fine in lower light. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom