29 gal sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopa_34

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gal tank that i like to convert to a sump for my planted tank. Does anyone know where i can find DIY plans to make a sump specifically for a planted tank or for a freshwater tank?

It is 120 gal. The reason that i want to do it is so i can move the equipment from the main tank to the sump.

How planted is your tank? If you ever intend on injecting CO2, and sump is a bad idea, as the overflow system will offgas all of your CO2.

its pretty well planted. are you able to inline the reactor of a CO2 system to the out take line of the sump

how would i gas off CO2 when the reactor is inline, because isnt it if the reactor is inline the only way the CO2 can go is into the main tank, just like if i would inline the reactor to a powerhead that was in the main tank.

Anywhere there is a surface area of water that is exposed to air, especially areas with greater surface agitation, you will offgas. The CO2 will indeed go into the main tank where some of it will be used, and some will be offgassed. Anything not used right away will continue through the tank and to the sump, where more of it may offgas.

I'm not saying that you will lose a ton of CO2, but you will lose more than you would without the sump. It may just be a trial and error process, because I haven't heard of anyone else running a large, CO2 injected, planted tank with a sump.

I appreicate your help, i have another question. What are your thoughts of using a spray bar on the filter in a planted tank.

I have YET to run a canister on any of my tanks. I do have an XP1 coming this week for my 29g though. I do not see any problem with a spraybar, and I have seen many people run them.

I use a spray bar on all three of my larger aquariums. I really like this method of water return as it spreads out the flow and can be directed so that you get just a slight ripple across the surface minimizing the amount of CO2 loss while still getting good O2 levels.

Back
Top Bottom