29 gallon ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Attached is my 29 gallon that has been up and running for a week now. I want corkscrew vallisneria. Thinking ill add them on the left with some chain swords. on the right i want something bushy but i dont know what? Any ideas on something bushy? Along with the chain swords im adding Anubia nanas as foreground. Thats my idea but i lack imagination. What would you add and where?

Attachments

• 29gallon.jpg
    29gallon.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 125
The long stick is so horizontal that my eye wants some vertical shapes,
maybe a pile of river rocks on on side?

I think placement of plants will add rhythm and balance over the base. Do some groupings rather than evenly spaced across.

I'm planting my 29 this week too, using 2 kinds of Anubias, 3 amazon swords, 3 narrow leaf java ferns, dwarf hair grass and maybe a few more. Not sure if the hair grass will work out yet.

So my long sticks not gonna fly? its not completely horizontal. looks that way on this angle. but i see what you're saying. I dont want rocks and i dont feel like spending 40 dollars or more on driftwood when here in Arkansas driftwood is everywhere. ill keep looking maybe ill find the right piece later. but grouping plants together seems like a good idea. ill go ahead and plant afew plants maybe theyll make the "long stick" look better.

tomasm87 said:
So my long sticks not gonna fly? its not completely horizontal. looks that way on this angle. but i see what you're saying. I dont want rocks and i dont feel like spending 40 dollars or more on driftwood when here in Arkansas driftwood is everywhere. ill keep looking maybe ill find the right piece later. but grouping plants together seems like a good idea. ill go ahead and plant afew plants maybe theyll make the "long stick" look better.

I like the long sticks. For tallness, go for the corkscrew vals, and I have a red crypt, it's tall, but has long stalks with pretty, red spade leaves.

A plant that grows bushy, is easy to grow, and is good at absorbing excess nutrients in the water is water sprite. A tiny plant will grow big and full really fast. It also has a delicate texture and fish can get in it and move through it without issues.

no no no! I like the horizontal-ness! But, I would personally balance it with vertical stuff, to bring more attention to the stick!

I think it is a unique look and it does totally work, so no need to scrap it.

Even a few tall plants like swords would do the trick!

I like the stick too!! Also with the branches it had you could almost kinda angle it with the longest end pointed to the water maybe?? But it will fill in nicely once you get it planted!! I got some hygrophilia(sp.?) and it fills nicely and mine is already spreading!!

Hygrophilias look good. Hygros are easy to grow are they not? does anyone have experience with water sprite. I heard some say they can out grow a tank pretty quickly.

I trim the crap out of my water sprite. I just did today!! Here's my 55. I just trimmed a bunch of stuff!!

image-1067080222.jpg

image-695664575.jpg

image-4293342165.jpg

image-1012555405.jpg

I started out with two water sprites and now I have them in all three tanks!!

I have a 220g and could cut my water sprite down by half and it would grow back to the surface in about a week. Plus it can grow in all different levels of light.

hcourts said:
I trim the crap out of my water sprite. I just did today!! Here's my 55. I just trimmed a bunch of stuff!!

I started out with two water sprites and now I have them in all three tanks!!

Love your Rasboras. They are great fish. Kind of like mini sharks at feeding time.

Thanks!! And mine grows in all directions!! If you want some just holler!! I normally only charge for shipping!!!

I'd cut most of the bottom off that branch and turn it vertical, like a tree. Then cover the branches with plants like java moss and java fern. It would make a very cool underwater tree.

On the floor of the tank, you can have moss balls like shrubs by the trunk.

Back
Top Bottom