Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

29 gallon low light build

My first planted tank and I'm excited, so excited that I'm putting up the build thread a day early. With any luck my plants will be here tomorrow (more on those in a bit) since I ordered them Sunday night. This is a 29 gallon with a 20W T8 bulb and no CO2.

My hardscape has been changed from what I originally envisioned and thanks to the help of people on the forum now looks like this.

The water is a bit cloudy. The background (same as I have on my other tank) seems really reflective with this lighting. I probably should have chosen something different. The filter will be on the right side. It's not on yet, since all of the media is in my other filter to help shorten my cycle.

Plants I have ordered:
1 Water Sprite
1 Dwarf lily (Nymphaea stellata)
1 Aponogeton boivinianus
3 Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'
3 Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
3 Cryptocoryne x willisii 'lucens'
3 Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
4 Cryptocoryne undulata

The plan (at the moment, feel free to critique)
I plan to have the water sprite floating. The retropiralis will probably be placed in the back left to hopefully cover the filter. The undulata will also be on the left. The apon will go in the right corner. The brown wendtii will be in the back, just not sure where. The lucens will be right midground with the green wendtii in front. I'm thinking of the dwarf lily in front of the driftwood, although it might look better in a corner?

I want things pretty heavily planted, this are just a start and a test at both my aquascaping skills and ability to keep plants alive. I'll be looking to add more plants, either of those types, or any other low light ones that will look good in there.

Pictures as soon as I get the plants. Until than any plant suggestions or design hints are more than welcome.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

First group of plants arrived!

Only they aren't marked.

Four free apon bulbs though!

No idea what kind.

I need to try and figure out which bag is the wendtii brown, which is the wendtii green, and which is the undulata so I know where to plant them. Crypts look really similar to me. lol

Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The three unsprouted bulbs are in a moist papertowel until they sprout.

Bad picture time. The close ups I took are hard to see so I'll try again later. Basically I just guessed at what was what. The open area will have the bulbs in it. Planting=tough.

Front view

Side view to see the aponongeton. I think that's the lucens in front (left side of the pic). Whatever it was had a great root system.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

A couple of random questions if someone could please help me out.

What's the best way to grow out the plants before adding fish? I'm asking because they're crypts and I didn't know if all the water changes at the end of a fishless cycle would cause melt.

Are there any stem plants that could work in low light? I want to add something behind the driftwood, but not sure what.

Tags
29 gallon, build, gallon, light, low light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com