29 Gallon Planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satchel_Paige

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there! Looking to make my 29 gallon tank a planted tank and really want to make this as easy a set up as possible. Preferably non C02 needed. I also need to know what kind of lighting is needed for this? I currently have a sand substrate and specifically want some surface plants for my dwarf gouramis. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Duckweed, anacharis, hornwort, and pennywort are great floaters.

A lot of people also float anubias and java fern. Java fern will also pay for itself, because it propagates so easily and quickly. You could probably sell or replant the excess.

None of those plants will need CO2.

Duckweed, anacharis, hornwort, and pennywort are great floaters.

A lot of people also float anubias and java fern. Java fern will also pay for itself, because it propagates so easily and quickly. You could probably sell or replant the excess.

None of those plants will need CO2.

so I picked up some duckweed and anacharis as they didn't have hornwort or pennywort at my lfs. The Anacharis is great and I've even planted some of the bundles to give more mid plant cover. Unfortunately, it seems that the duckweed has almost all ended up in my filter :banghead: I put a cheesecloth over the intake to stop the rest but now my gourami's are attempting to rip apart my java moss and get it to sit at the top, which it won't. I was wondering if there was a tip to keep the duckweed from all disappearing into the filter intake so my fish could be happy. otherwise any ideas as to what I could mount up to the surface and just attach java moss to it?

You could lower filter intake with a bottle or the like. Or move the filter to one corner and put the duckweed in the opposite one. Filter is in the left back corner, place duckweed in right front

You could lower filter intake with a bottle or the like. Or move the filter to one corner and put the duckweed in the opposite one. Filter is in the left back corner, place duckweed in right front

Yeah definitely did that ha. lowered the flow of my filter out take as much as I could and its still sucking it up. Might try to get something a little larger for the top to maybe work more efficiently.

Oh I know! Maybe you can grow it with something across the top to divide it. Like a bunch of anacharis to break filter flow so the duckweed can sit there more. You could grow it in a net until you have enough anacharis since you already have the duckweed.

Back
Top Bottom