29 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's my current planted tank just moved all my plants to this tank what do you guys think? I still need some carpet and some more diversity in plants suggestions also would like some red plants maybe some floaters other then duckweed and hope to exchange for some real driftwood when I can find some small enough pieces. Still need to fill it up but I got tired of hauling water upstairs in 5 gallon buckets as I did a water change on my 45 gallon and 20 gallon long today lol

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406087984164.jpg
    1406087984164.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1406088046104.jpg
    1406088046104.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 90
Yup just take it slow and ask lots of questions before buying stuff!

If it's one thing I'm good at it's asking questions;) right now I think I'm gonna get this 10 gallon finished while I save up to start my 29 that way I'm not having to wait and it won't let my lack of patience get the better of me:D

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Carpets are not beginner friendly. To keep them short you need either high light + CO2 or lots of trimming. But that's JMHO.

I think you should try some Crypts. There are a ton of species. They can live in low to high light.

Ludwigia repens
Bacopa monnieri
Myriophyllum mattogrossense

Are all nice stem plants.

Tall tanks are trickier, but lights are getting better and better.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the carpets being challenging. You will need decent lighting for reds as well. I realized that tall tanks would require stronger lighting so I stuck with 20g long because they are not deep.
I started a planted tank last year with what I thought was decent lighting (inexpensive dual T5 NO). But only a few of the plants actually grew. A few months later I switched to a Finnex FugeRay and growth improved for most of them (some had died out). Next I added DIY CO2 and in the next 6-8 weeks some plants went bananas! Two in particular: Bacopa caroliniana and broadleaf chain sword. For ferts at the time I was using API Leaf Zone, Seachem Flourish Comp and occasionally Excel. Trimming the Bacopa every week or two. I was removing about a dozen chain swords a week. I eventually removed both plants because I got tired of trimming them (they became invasive). As for a carpet, I tried dwarf sag but it grew too tall. Same with the broadleaf chain sword.
Fast forward to this year: Here is a somewhat recent pic showing three carpet plants. From left to right: Downoi, Alternanthera reineckii (AR) mini, and Staurogynes repens
Ib29teN.jpg
I recently switched to pressurized CO2 (AquaTek Premium) and PPS Pro ferts. I just ordered the Finnex FugeRay Planted + which should arrive today or tomorrow. I'm not getting the growth and color I want out of some newer plants and the planted + should address that.
That being said...DIY CO2 will work, though from what I've read here, it is more effective in tanks 20g or less. I used it for about 8 months and was pleased with the results. Some carbon (CO2, Glut, Excel) is better than nothing. The reason I switched to pressurized was because I started growing some more demanding plants and using stronger lighting.
The lights and plant selection should dictate your need for CO2. Here is a pic of a shrimp tank with the SAME dual T5 NO lights that I removed from my other tank. Plants consist of Crypt undulata, Crypt wendtii, dwarf sag, and a mixture of mosses. The low lighting does not cause over growth and the crypts stay on the smallish side. No ferts or CO2. Occasional root pellets. Very low maintenance. I've trimmed the moss back only once or twice. The older crypt leaves simply rot and dissolve within a few days (no trimming).
Gx7odSr.jpg

Yes, it's good to learn from your mistakes. Sometimes better to learn from other's mistakes. Good luck with this.
BTW - that looks like a val in your tank. A bit too large for that tank. I grew them in a 55g and they would growth 5' plus. Low light stem plants are a good start.

Carpets are not beginner friendly. To keep them short you need either high light + CO2 or lots of trimming. But that's JMHO.

I think you should try some Crypts. There are a ton of species. They can live in low to high light.

Ludwigia repens
Bacopa monnieri
Myriophyllum mattogrossense

Are all nice stem plants.

Tall tanks are trickier, but lights are getting better and better.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I love ludwigia repens! Lol sorry I got excited;) ok thanks for the info on carpets they just look so much more natural but I still have a lot to learn.

+1 on the carpets being challenging. You will need decent lighting for reds as well. I realized that tall tanks would require stronger lighting so I stuck with 20g long because they are not deep.
I started a planted tank last year with what I thought was decent lighting (inexpensive dual T5 NO). But only a few of the plants actually grew. A few months later I switched to a Finnex FugeRay and growth improved for most of them (some had died out). Next I added DIY CO2 and in the next 6-8 weeks some plants went bananas! Two in particular: Bacopa caroliniana and broadleaf chain sword. For ferts at the time I was using API Leaf Zone, Seachem Flourish Comp and occasionally Excel. Trimming the Bacopa every week or two. I was removing about a dozen chain swords a week. I eventually removed both plants because I got tired of trimming them (they became invasive). As for a carpet, I tried dwarf sag but it grew too tall. Same with the broadleaf chain sword.
Fast forward to this year: Here is a somewhat recent pic showing three carpet plants. From left to right: Downoi, Alternanthera reineckii (AR) mini, and Staurogynes repens
Ib29teN.jpg
I recently switched to pressurized CO2 (AquaTek Premium) and PPS Pro ferts. I just ordered the Finnex FugeRay Planted + which should arrive today or tomorrow. I'm not getting the growth and color I want out of some newer plants and the planted + should address that.
That being said...DIY CO2 will work, though from what I've read here, it is more effective in tanks 20g or less. I used it for about 8 months and was pleased with the results. Some carbon (CO2, Glut, Excel) is better than nothing. The reason I switched to pressurized was because I started growing some more demanding plants and using stronger lighting.
The lights and plant selection should dictate your need for CO2. Here is a pic of a shrimp tank with the SAME dual T5 NO lights that I removed from my other tank. Plants consist of Crypt undulata, Crypt wendtii, dwarf sag, and a mixture of mosses. The low lighting does not cause over growth and the crypts stay on the smallish side. No ferts or CO2. Occasional root pellets. Very low maintenance. I've trimmed the moss back only once or twice. The older crypt leaves simply rot and dissolve within a few days (no trimming).
Gx7odSr.jpg

Yes, it's good to learn from your mistakes. Sometimes better to learn from other's mistakes. Good luck with this.
BTW - that looks like a val in your tank. A bit too large for that tank. I grew them in a 55g and they would growth 5' plus. Low light stem plants are a good start.

Ok thanks for the break down of everything love the pictures! I honestly have no idea what it is a friend of mine gave it to me when she took down her tank. It does reach all the way across the top of my 10 gallon tank and it needs a trim. I think I'm going to stick with my 10 gallon get it where I want it and then try for the 29? Any opinions? Also can you try and break down how to do the DIY CO2. How can I tell if my plants need CO2? I understand the problem of the 29 gallon being a tall tank but I already have my stocking list and I'd really like to keep it at a 29.

Some info on my 10 gallon just so I can get some opinions on what to change and what to stick with on the 29.

Fluorite substrate
Sponge filter
2 6500k cfl bulbs
Daily dosing of API CO2 booster (would like to switch to DIY CO2)
2x a week dosing of flourish
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8.2

Stock list
1 dragon scale betta
1 cory cat
2 zebra nirate snails
Ramshorn and pond snails

Plants:
Java moss
Anubus nana
Amazon sword
Moss ball
Duckweed
And that other plant in back lol

Opinions on these plants got a message from dallascowboy16 saying he has some anyone worked with him? Reviews?

Plants:
Wisteria
Water sprite
Purple cabomba
Crypt wenditii
Dwarf sag
Java fern windelov
Ludwigia repens
Kliener bar swords

I love my dwarf sag

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks for the break down of everything love the pictures! I honestly have no idea what it is a friend of mine gave it to me when she took down her tank. It does reach all the way across the top of my 10 gallon tank and it needs a trim. I think I'm going to stick with my 10 gallon get it where I want it and then try for the 29? Any opinions? Also can you try and break down how to do the DIY CO2. How can I tell if my plants need CO2? I understand the problem of the 29 gallon being a tall tank but I already have my stocking list and I'd really like to keep it at a 29.

My DIY CO2 Setup http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298168
The lights will often determine the need for CO2. If low or medium you should be okay without it, although many plants will benefit from it. The mind set is to go bigger, especially with fish tanks. From a cost perspective, I wanted to keep it low so I went smaller. Not nano but 10-20g should be fine.

Opinions on these plants got a message from dallascowboy16 saying he has some anyone worked with him? Reviews?

Plants:
Wisteria
Water sprite
Purple cabomba
Crypt wenditii
Dwarf sag
Java fern windelov
Ludwigia repens
Kliener bar swords

From the list, I only have experience with crypt wendtii and dwarf sag. Both are hardy plants although most crypts don't like to be moved. They have a tendency to melt (but come back). IME the crypts stay smaller in less light and larger in higher light. Dwarf sag grows slowly in low light and faster in higher light. I currently grow dwarf sag outside in a small pond. It is sending out oval leaves above the surface and tiny white flowers. It also survived under several inches of ice over the winter. I give it root pellets from time to time.
The rest of the plants are not demanding although the purple cabomba may need more than low light. Most sword and crypts enjoy root fertilization.

From the list, I only have experience with crypt wendtii and dwarf sag. Both are hardy plants although most crypts don't like to be moved. They have a tendency to melt (but come back). IME the crypts stay smaller in less light and larger in higher light. Dwarf sag grows slowly in low light and faster in higher light. I currently grow dwarf sag outside in a small pond. It is sending out oval leaves above the surface and tiny white flowers. It also survived under several inches of ice over the winter. I give it root pellets from time to time.
The rest of the plants are not demanding although the purple cabomba may need more than low light. Most sword and crypts enjoy root fertilization.

Ok a was thinking about getting crypt wenditii red, java fern windelov, dwarf sag and wisteria

I saw your question posted on another thread and am reposting it here:

I use a sponge filter in my 10gallon planted tank any suggestions on how to get the co2 into this tank since I can't feed it to a hob filter?

That's a good question. You could use a diffuser to introduce the CO2. It does not have to be a ceramic one; I've seen DIY chopstick style diffusers used (I don't have details on how to do this).

I saw your question posted on another thread and am reposting it here:

That's a good question. You could use a diffuser to introduce the CO2. It does not have to be a ceramic one; I've seen DIY chopstick style diffusers used (I don't have details on how to do this).

Ok thanks:)

Also, what lighting are you currently using on this tank? I cannot tell from the pictures. If it is a full hood with incandescent bulbs, the you can swap out the bulbs for 13w 6500K CFL bulbs. That should give you pretty good light without spending much. They also have 23w CFLs bulbs although they may be a bit too wide for your fixture.

I found a diffuser for $4 online sweet haha

Here's my hood and picture of the bulb for size. I currently have CFLs but they are only 2700k so I'm planning on getting 6500k bulbs this weekend

Attachments

• 1406137692917.jpg
    1406137692917.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1406137703992.jpg
    1406137703992.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 59
Added some new rocks can't wait to get some more plants! Any advice on scape or even just a plant you think would look nice or that you like feel free to share! I plan on trading the fake decor out for driftwood as soon as a find some nice pieces :D

Attachments

• 1406154251809.jpg
    1406154251809.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 50
  • 1406154384549.jpg
    1406154384549.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1406154397988.jpg
    1406154397988.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 51
  • 1406154414220.jpg
    1406154414220.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 41
Oops sorry the pic uploaded twice...

Attachments

• 1406154644131.jpg
    1406154644131.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 44
What watt should my 6500k cfls be? Does it matter? Do they need to be full spectrum daylight?

13w should be fine. Another option is 23w (they may or may not fit in the fixture). I don't recall if they are full spectrum daylight; just try to get the 6500K.

Back
Top Bottom