29 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
13w should be fine. Another option is 23w (they may or may not fit in the fixture). I don't recall if they are full spectrum daylight; just try to get the 6500K.

Ok will do :)

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please don't exceed recommended wattage of your fixture. Fires are bad :(

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. In my head I was thinking that the fixture was the utility clamp on meta cone...until I went back one page and realized it is an incandescent hood. *** The maximum wattage should be printed on the fixture. ***

Good point. In my head I was thinking that the fixture was the utility clamp on meta cone...until I went back one page and realized it is an incandescent hood. *** The maximum wattage should be printed on the fixture. ***

Ok thank you I will take a look

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I couldn't find anything other than the 23w 6500K bulbs at Home Depot. Phillips brand, four pack, for $13.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I couldn't find anything other than the 23w 6500K bulbs at Home Depot. Phillips brand, four pack, for $13.

Ok great that means I can check at lowes and menards. Thanks for that the closest home depot is 45min from me so that really helps!

Full spectrum doesn't guarantee it'll be 6500K. Look on the base of the bulb and it'll tell you the Kelvin rating. The Kelvin rating should also be on the packaging, even if it's labeling is clouded with wattage, lumens, or other random descriptors like "daylight" or "warm/cool light".

Full spectrum doesn't guarantee it'll be 6500K. Look on the base of the bulb and it'll tell you the Kelvin rating. The Kelvin rating should also be on the packaging, even if it's labeling is clouded with wattage, lumens, or other random descriptors like "daylight" or "warm/cool light".

Ok good to know thanks again :)

If it's an incandescent hood that supports up to 60 or 75w bulbs, the 23w CFL's will be fine.

Ok I ended up getting a light for my 29 gallon as a gift bc my Petsmart is redoing their fish department and everything was 50% off! So I got the deluxe programmable LED aquarium light 24" woth adjustable brackets so it fits on my 29. It came with 3 LED tubes with white and blue lights.
Blue= 20,000k
White= 7,000-10,000k

How long should these be on a day? And which lights as blue and white are seperate I was wondering so I can program it. I also got some narrow leaf java fern, a couple amazon swords, an anubias I cant remember what kind (ill look for the case tomorrow), and some telanyhera cardinalisn (it was the only red plant they had). I dont alot about these plants so any info would be awesome they were bought by the OH so I didn't get a pick(;

I wouldn't run the blues at all. Plants can't use that rating, but algae can. I'd stick to all 7K. Run it less than 8 hours a day.

Java fern needs to be mounted to a rock or driftwood, not planted (with fishing string or thin cotton string), amazons will need root tabs, anubias can grow with ambient light so nothing complicated there. If the cardinalis is what I think it is, it may not survive in your tank without a bit more light. It may survive just fine, but will most likely lose its red coloring while still needing a decent fertilizer regime.

I wouldn't run the blues at all. Plants can't use that rating, but algae can. I'd stick to all 7K. Run it less than 8 hours a day.

Java fern needs to be mounted to a rock or driftwood, not planted (with fishing string or thin cotton string), amazons will need root tabs, anubias can grow with ambient light so nothing complicated there. If the cardinalis is what I think it is, it may not survive in your tank without a bit more light. It may survive just fine, but will most likely lose its red coloring while still needing a decent fertilizer regime.

Ok great I will program it:) thanks for the info on the planta I will post a picture of the cardinalis when I can get one.
Really there are 3 7,000k bulbs?

Here is the cardinalis

Attachments

• 1406728156935.jpg
    1406728156935.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 53
If the blue, 7K and 10K are all separate diodes, run all of the 7K and 10K.

Yeah, that cardinalis is going to need more light as it's a high light plant. When it looks its best, it's a deep red.

If the blue, 7K and 10K are all separate diodes, run all of the 7K and 10K.

Yeah, that cardinalis is going to need more light as it's a high light plant. When it looks its best, it's a deep red.

The lights are seperate:)
So by running all three lights would that be considered low, medium, or high light? How do you tell?

I thought it had to do with how much light or ks not the fixture?

10gallon tank update

Also technical data on the light

Attachments

• 1406827103389.jpg
    1406827103389.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 1406827144027.jpg
    1406827144027.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 58
It's only a 21w fixture, and some of that is lost to the blue LED's. That fixture doesn't have the greatest PAR, either (light intensity over a distance). There's no lens on the diode, so it's light is dispersed all over. The Kelvin rating is only part of the picture. High light LED fixtures are pushing around 80-100w with great PAR.

It's only a 21w fixture, and some of that is lost to the blue LED's. That fixture doesn't have the greatest PAR, either (light intensity over a distance). There's no lens on the diode, so it's light is dispersed all over. The Kelvin rating is only part of the picture. High light LED fixtures are pushing around 80-100w with great PAR.

Oh wow I had no idea so much went into it everyone was like oh yea its all about Kelvin. So could I add an additional light with this light to get a better rating? If so any suggestions on what light to use?

Back
Top Bottom