29G Planted Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akrin1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I am fairly new to fishkeeping, as my tank has only been up and running for about a month now. My tank has already finished cycling for about two weeks now, that is about the time I put in my live plants. Bought some random plants off someone on craigslist. This includes some star grass, microswords, a small ball of java moss, and some ceratophyllum. I am using a Finnex Ray 2 LED light fixture. I bought Flourish Comp and Flourish Excel to use as my ferts. What I need to know is how long I should leave the light on and how much ferts to apply so I can keep my tank in balance and not have a crazy algae outbreak. I have two Nyererei cichlids and a Siamese Algae Eater for algae control, but prevention is always best.

I will look into the cichlids. How big do they get and are they any good with most plants because Ik most cichlids will tear up and uproot most plants except Java fern and some other hardy plants. You have good lighting and I reccomend keeping it on from 6-7.5 hours since this is how much light most plants need and it won't cause a giant load of algae like 8 hours will. I will look up the cichlids you mentioned so I have more of an idea of what's compatible and stuff

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Idk the dosing of ferts tho. Sprry couldn't be more help

Hello!

I had to do some web surfing to learn about your cichlids. They are pretty! Just make absolutely sure it's not 2 males as I read they can be VERY territorial and VERY mean to one another. A high female count is recommended. These cichlids are Lake Victorian and way attempt to dig and tear up plants. Provide plenty of rock caves for them to take refuge in.

On to plants:
Flourish comp-macros
Flourish excel-carbon source
API Leaf Zone-micros

Get leaf zone and you should be covered.

I can tell you that you will undoubtedly fight some algae in the beginning as we all have in out planted tanks. Over time you will find your balance with lighting and ferts to keep the algae away.

Generally for those bottles I believe it's 1mL per 10g gallons.

Hope this helps :)

Caleb

They ate pretty. I have a group of seven 2-3" juvies im growing out. Just startin to color in. I am curious how they are doing with your plants. Any eating, pulling up, etc....

I have mine in with just rocks and java. I assumed they were like aulonocara with the plants. Be cool if i could add more to their 75.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will look into the cichlids. How big do they get and are they any good with most plants because Ik most cichlids will tear up and uproot most plants except Java fern and some other hardy plants. You have good lighting and I reccomend keeping it on from 6-7.5 hours since this is how much light most plants need and it won't cause a giant load of algae like 8 hours will. I will look up the cichlids you mentioned so I have more of an idea of what's compatible and stuff

I think they get to 3-4", differing information from various sources. I was told these ones don't uproot plants but I could be wrong. There's not a lot of information out there on these cichlids as they're not as common as mbuna etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are they nyererei reds?

I don't they are, not much red on them, looks very similar to the one in this pic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434470455.882307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pundamilia nyererei, aka nyererei red. Thats what ive got. Looks alot like that pic. Not too many pundamilia strains out there.

Sorry fat fings hit send before i was done. Makobe isl. Lake victoria. There are a few color morphs out there, mostly from hybridizing. Most common bbeing the reds, yellows, blue n black combo.

Yep, dats dem. Good lookin fishies and tank.

So I have some microswords, ceratophyllum, star grass and java moss in my tank right now. I'm leaving the Finnex Ray 2 LED on for about 6 hours a day. I have bought Flourish Comp, Excel and root tabs for my fertilizing. Is this enough lighting and how often would I have to apply each fert, I'm trying to keep algae to a minimum.

So I have some microswords, ceratophyllum, star grass and java moss in my tank right now. I'm leaving the Finnex Ray 2 LED on for about 6 hours a day. I have bought Flourish Comp, Excel and root tabs for my fertilizing. Is this enough lighting and how often would I have to apply each fert, I'm trying to keep algae to a minimum.

I'd add in API'S Leafzone to compliment the seachem comprehensive...I dose both of those twice weekly along with daily doses of glut(10 ml)...
here's a pic of my 20g tall before I mowed down the dwarf sag..tank is lit by 1 Sat+..
http://i.imgur.com/qt8FQMh.jpg

sit in silence...

I'd add in API'S Leafzone to compliment the seachem comprehensive...I dose both of those twice weekly along with daily doses of glut(10 ml)...
here's a pic of my 20g tall before I mowed down the dwarf sag..tank is lit by 1 Sat+..
http://i.imgur.com/qt8FQMh.jpg

sit in silence...

I read that Leaf Zone is only chelated iron and potassium whereas Flourish Comp is well, more comprehensive and contains nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium and a lot whole of other stuff in addition to iron and potassium. So you would essentially be overlapping some nutrients.

I read that Leaf Zone is only chelated iron and potassium whereas Flourish Comp is well, more comprehensive and contains nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium and a lot whole of other stuff in addition to iron and potassium. So you would essentially be overlapping some nutrients.

By using both you're covering micros&macros...seachem comprehensive isn't quite an end all be all...comp contains very minute levels of both iron & potassium...I use this combo in 3 other tanks to no ill effects.

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom