30 gallon paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goatnad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I decided to turn my 30g tank into a paludarium. i tried a paludarium a few years ago and it just didnt work out. so i happened across a thread where autumnsky was talking about doing one and it give me the itch. :) ty autumnsky. i was kind of hoping to do some frogs like poison dart frogs or fire belly toads but i think i made the land area a little to small. im also thinking about making a bit of land area in the top right for more plants and places for frogs to go. still a work in progress and recommendations are welcome.

AvkBXZs.jpg

looks like a police lineup here lol

9QrqWPZ.jpg

xUEaB1u.jpg

31plhxq.jpg

Looking forward to this - like the surface build!
:) thank you. hope you like the possible changes.

I've been working on a foam wall for the tank and i also picked up a nice small piece of spiderwood. once it is done the driftwood will be cut into the background piece. that way it will look more like roots growing out of the side of a bluff. I will then cut a few places for some plants to go and will also put something like golden creeping jenny hanging down in places. I may even see how some of my thai moss would grow as a semi moss wall.

BJDDJOe.jpg

FKS4clw.jpg

questions:
should i extend the background piece all the way to the far left?
how do you guys like the new piece? would you move it?turn it?flip it?
any plant recommendations to put on this back wall? looking for maybe 3 plant options.

top down view
a really big thank you goes out to stooker for sending me some red root floaters! I cant thank you enough.

K0DaEuE.jpg

4lGtOcs.jpg

Last edited:
wow. So much time has passed and I haven't posted anything new on this tank. I made a full length back wall instead of the 3/4 wall. I added crypt undulata in the front and added some emersed AR variegated to the far left in front of the spiky house plant. I also finally got my creeping jenny and decided to use an old HOB filter as a HOB grow box/waterfall for the creeping jenny. I'm hoping the jenny will end up covering most of the filter and the part of the foam wall I had to cut out. If not I will think of a way to blend it all in and it not be noticeable. The monte carlo I planted has not done well at all. I'm going to pull it and go with something different. I would like all of your opinions as to what to put as a carpeting plant.

choices are:
1. dwarf sag
2. utricularia graminifolia
3. littorella uniflora
4. Your recommendation

full tank shot
qyKybcN.jpg

full wall added

r34REeK.jpg

AR variegated
SOnn3Up.jpg

jenny and filter
qJEUQyC.jpg

I really love seeing the build here. You have some beautiful rock and wood--such interesting shapes and textures. Using the HOB for a waterfall is inspired, and I think doing the back wall 100 percent was a good choice.

I had to look up the plants you described to see pictures. My vote, as a total newbie to planted tanks, would be for the utricularia graminifolia. It looks lush, delicate, and sweeping/uniform...like a sea of grass. I think it would be a beautiful, calm contrast to all the exciting visual activity given by the creeping jenny, intricate wood shapes, and rocks and plants.

Can't comment much on plants but looking nice!
Thank you! :D

I really love seeing the build here. You have some beautiful rock and wood--such interesting shapes and textures. Using the HOB for a waterfall is inspired, and I think doing the back wall 100 percent was a good choice.

I had to look up the plants you described to see pictures. My vote, as a total newbie to planted tanks, would be for the utricularia graminifolia. It looks lush, delicate, and sweeping/uniform...like a sea of grass. I think it would be a beautiful, calm contrast to all the exciting visual activity given by the creeping jenny, intricate wood shapes, and rocks and plants.

glad you chose UG because i did to :D.

dJ8v1fJ.jpg

added terrestrial moss between the creeping jenny
RyTZgQX.jpg

stabbed pieces of thai moss into the background.hopefully it will grab on and grow a wall. sorry for the bad picture

E9M6V78.jpg

terrestrial moss on the log looking to beautiful
0xtilQ2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom