36 Discus Plant Assortment (36 Discus Assortment)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfmastin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Pictures 36 Discus Plant Assortment

I just received the 36 Discus Plant Assortment (36 Discus Assortment) from the aquariumgarden.com. Could you take a look at the pictures of the plants I received and give me some feedback. I just wonder if I got a great/typical/or not so good deal @ $87.97 plus shipping. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! David
pics are here
Aquarium Blog
Once you get there just scroll down for pictures of all the plants.
Also, can anyone recommend appropriate ground cover for a Discus tank?
Thanks!

I would think you could have gotten those plants a lot cheaper from other members on here, but it may have taken longer. Also it depends on what kind of lighting and weather or not you are using co2 in your tank as well as fertilizers as to how well your plants will do in your tank.
I think discus tanks are very pretty when done right I would love to see pics when you get it all done.

Aw thanks for the quick reply. I'm such a noob, I should check this forum for plants! My tank is 50 gallons. My lighting consists of two 36 inch and two 24 inch fluorescent tubes (100 watts total). I am working to set up a CO2 system, but have been having some troubles. I will post some pics tonight. I have such trouble taking pictures during the day as I get too many reflections.

I would think you could have gotten those plants a lot cheaper from other members on here, but it may have taken longer. Also it depends on what kind of lighting and weather or not you are using co2 in your tank as well as fertilizers as to how well your plants will do in your tank.
I think discus tanks are very pretty when done right I would love to see pics when you get it all done.

I should mention I have no fish currently and plan to have Rams. Discus' are beautiful, but I'm afraid I'd grow attached to them and they'd outgrow my 50g. Maybe one day! I mention Discus as that's how the plant assortment was marketed and I believe German Rams require water conditions similar to Discus.

i think you paid too much. and only because you can get some good deals through aquarium forums. but when you get all of your plants in you'll be happy and it'll be worth the money.
i cant take pics with my camera at all unless i turn off my flash.
i would love to see some pics when its all set up
there was something else i wanted to say but forgot.

i was just reading your blog about your plants and you mentioned that the anacharis was brown. dont sweat it. it'll prob rebound and in a couple months will take over your tank if you dont trim it

Update

d2vallisneria.jpg
d2rotalaindica.jpg

Day 2
Top pic above, only plant "pearling" today was Vallisneria (should others be pearling day one?).
Next Pic above, one plant actually seems like it has grown overnight if that's even possible: Rotala Indica.
Pic below, general tank end of day two.
I have what my wife calls a "control panel" look going on the left side that I will hide/remove soon.
day2.jpg

the stem plants would be better if you split them up more. so close together the bottom leafs wont get any light. not too bad over all i am sure you could have found them cheaper going to people who grows them but thats not for everyone.

NICE! looks awesome!

my only suggestion is to put your thermometer and all your other gadgets on the side of the tank so that they're not so visable. it'll look much better imo!
also. you'll prob find that liquid test kits are more reliable and arent visable in your tank. once it's completely cycled you pretty much won't need ammonia or nitrite tests. and you really dont need to worry too much about your ph.

Thanks! :D
Only day 2, but I have placed flourish tabs and used a little Excel and Trace.
Eco-complete substrate.

No CO2 yet. I've been having a run of problems with Hydor regulators. See my blog at Aquarium Blog for the story. If anybody out there has used a Hydor regulator (exclusive or advanced) I'd be super interested to talk to you.

Tank looks great. Are you dosing ferts at all?

Noob here, he he.
Um, um, um, stem plants are my? Looks like the ones in the back were labeled Hygro-giant (Hygrophila corymbosa (Nomaphila stricta). Those?
thanks for the help!

the stem plants would be better if you split them up more. so close together the bottom leafs wont get any light. not too bad over all i am sure you could have found them cheaper going to people who grows them but thats not for everyone.

Aw, thanks!!!
Absolutely, my wife calls that area my "control panel". Will definitely move/hide in a few days!

NICE! looks awesome!

my only suggestion is to put your thermometer and all your other gadgets on the side of the tank so that they're not so visable. it'll look much better imo!
also. you'll prob find that liquid test kits are more reliable and arent visable in your tank. once it's completely cycled you pretty much won't need ammonia or nitrite tests. and you really dont need to worry too much about your ph.

Liquid CO2, like what you burn warts off with.
I know nuts. The next time I'm wearing gloves.
I feel a little better as the LFS owner was going to do the same thing I did after reading the instructions, but I was able to caution him. I'm in touch with the Hydor folks, it's a mess.

wow. what exactly was it that burned your hand?

lol. my girlfriend calls me the mad scientist after i had to explain what diy co2 system is and why i test my water parameters all of the time.

stem plants are the one that are separted on individual stems each with there own root systems, anachris(sp) is a stem plant. hope this makes since to you sorry about the spelling

Back
Top Bottom