36 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going with the finnex ray 2. Since I have the fugeray and love it. I couldn't find a par value chart for the 24in. From what you've said, it has worked for you and is great. Hopefully I can order it tomorrow.

Yeah it works on a tank that large and deep. Just keep in mind with a single Ray 2, you'll be getting moderate lighting.

Here's the journal if you want to skim through it...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/26g-bow-front-my-first-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

I also installed LED lunar lights. I got 3x the Current Truelumen Lunars (1 white and 2 blue).

I'm pretty sure he has the same tank as us. If you plug in the exact dimensions, the actual gallons is 27 or 28 gallons.

I don't know... mine was listed as a 26 gallon Aqueon BF. I do have a Fluval 306 canister which probably gives me another gallon of volume...LOL

+1 on the Ray 2...it is working wonders for me also :) and i think there is a listing in the link in my signature about the Ray 2 PAR value, may want to check it out. Click the red link below the picture :)

:eek:. Your 26g is .....majestic. Okay enough with the drama, I saw your algae outbreak. Since you were using the co2 diffuser with regulator, will my DIY co2 result in outbreaks of algae due to fluctuations in co2 output?

I was wondering if I can sneak this off-topic questions to the thread. How do I transplant java ferns, when they send out shoots. (The extensions from ther leaves)

I was wondering if I can sneak this off-topic questions to the thread. How do I transplant java ferns, when they send out shoots. (The extensions from ther leaves)

What I do is wait until I see the roots from the new little plants from the leaves and just prick them off carefully and re-plant them. Had good luck with that.

What I do is wait until I see the roots from the new little plants from the leaves and just prick them off carefully and re-plant them. Had good luck with that.

I found java fern and anubias don't mind being broken. Just find "natural" breaking points. If u want, u can use a razor blade for clean cuts.

I found java fern and anubias don't mind being broken. Just find "natural" breaking points. If u want, u can use a razor blade for clean cuts.

Yup, you can split Anubias rhizome into two plants and they like it just fine, as with java ferns...I find though if I leave my Anubias alone after a while the plants get so big, and I like it better that way :lol:

:eek:. Your 26g is .....majestic. Okay enough with the drama, I saw your algae outbreak. Since you were using the co2 diffuser with regulator, will my DIY co2 result in outbreaks of algae due to fluctuations in co2 output?

Well DIY co2 should be used in tanks less than 20g's. But a 26g isn't really pushing it that much over so IMO it would be better than no co2 at all. You can supplement the DIY co2 by also dosing liquid carbon such as Excel or Glut (generic excel). I went though that little bit of algae because the tank was new and still balancing out. When the co2 stops running, small imbalances can occur when I need to re-dial thinks back in by either reducing the photoperiod, increasing co2, or with partial water changes. I also do a little spot treating with hydrogen peroxide with a syringe when I see problem areas of BBA or staghorn algae. I also increased circulation by installing a Hydor circulation pump. If you get a circulation pump, don't get the one I got (Hydor Koralia Nano 240)... It's a little too strong. Get the Hydor Pico 180 because it has adjustable flow and it's just right...
Aquarium Water Circulation and Powerheads: Hydor Pico Evo-Mag Circulation Pump

I find that with better circulation you'll also reduce the chance of deadspots forming where the lack of circulation will enable the build up of excess nutrients where algae will begin to develop.

Quick question on the co2. How can I calculate how much co2, I need for that setup. Such as, two 2L bottles or one. With m light, I was thinking one, but have no clue on how to get a cohesive answer to that.

ill post a pic soon, got to watch "The Following". Anyways, I setup the DIY Co2. Only one 2l bottle at the moment, i wanted to get a feel for it. Its running with two standard t8s, the Ray 2 should be arriving in 3-5 days from amazon. I setup what they call a bottle for "containment". I guess it captures leaks, but i needed some safety. I used 2 cups brownsugar, regular tank water, and 1/2 tsp yeast. Ill be back soon

Back
Top Bottom