38 Gallon Planted Lighting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently acquired a 38 gallon aquarium. I plan on making it planted as well as adding a few fish and was wondering where I should go to look at LED lighting for the tank and what type of lights I should get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:thanks:

I recently acquired a 38 gallon aquarium. I plan on making it planted as well as adding a few fish and was wondering where I should go to look at LED lighting for the tank and what type of lights I should get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:thanks:

Hey Jmifland,

Just like purchasing anything, you always shop around. Google will be your friend in looking around for prices, ect.

A cheaper route would be using T-5s. LEDs are quite expensive right now, being new to the growing use of them.

It really depends what kind of set-up you want. Low-tech, medium-tech, or high-tech.

Low involves about a single wpg, watt per gallon, and uses low light plants like java moss, java fern, Anubis, ect. You don't need to use Co2 or fertilizers for this.

Medium is a step up, using around 2 wpg. At this point you could experiment with DIY Co2 and store bought fertilizers like Excel.

High tech gets a expensive, needing 3+ wpg. They are normally used with pressurized Co2, but not always. They use a number of different fertilizers to nail specific needs for specific plants.

I'd suggest starting with low, obviously. It's the cheapest and most easy option.

Back
Top Bottom