3rd day running...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleMossHead84

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently set up a 10-gal planted tank. I am sure I am going to do some revising as the more I get into the it, the more ideas I have for my aquascape. However due to the time it takes plants to grow I believe I will settle on my final aquascape by the beginning of next week. This is it so far. Any ideas and comments are appreciated.

Also I have a diy carbon reactor, how does everyone feel about airstones and carbon? Im kinda getting the impression its unnecessary?

Attachments

• 10529_185211941069_646971069_4392548_7538130_n.jpg
    10529_185211941069_646971069_4392548_7538130_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 84
with a air stone running you are just gassing out the co2 you are adding. turn the air pump off. makes the tank look nicer too in my eyes.

I think you are off to a great start. I like the way you did the hardscape.

Are you planning on running any co2? What kind of lighting do you have?

For now you have some great easy plants to take care of that should do well with sufficient low light... I would consider adding some more demanding stem plants to the back down the road as your tank progresses and if your setup allows for it.

Currently I am using a 15w, Coralite, Nutri-Grow Floro Light? I hope I gave the information correct...

I turned off my airstones and I am soo happy because my boyfriend being the non-planted tank type ;) was super concerned with no air, but i informed him why and how. I love not seeing the tubing.

I am also running a small diy c02 reactor. From what I read it says that this is sufficient to a 10 gal? opinions on this please. I am in a little bit of a pickle tonight though because I have been keeping a journal of all my weekly test, fish, plants, growth, etc and I have yet to make it to the lfs to get a Kh test. As far as I know this is the way to calculate how much carbon is being dispersed in my tank using the diy Co2.

I am wanting to maybe get some filler plants to fill up some of the spaces but some of the grasses are high light and a little more difficult.(Maybe on my next tank ;) ) Does anybody have any suggestions on maybe some moss or a good filler? If I am going to leave the space open I would love to have the 3 rocks being covered with moss, I think that would be such a beautiful visual. Like moss covered rocks under a running stream or something, lol...okay Im getting carried away.

I also love the idea of some more demanding stem plants so thanks for that suggestion? Have any particular ones in mind?

And thanks for the complements. They really made my day as I have been rushing home everyday to check on my tank and stare at it for a bit.

Quick Check....

I know this isnt the best picture but does this lutea look a little dying to anyone. I believe the roots have spread out and some of the leaves are a vivid green but some are a little yellowing with spots. Help!

Attachments

• 10529_185974861069_646971069_4399061_8057989_s.jpg
    10529_185974861069_646971069_4399061_8057989_s.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 133
The tank looks great especially being a 10g! Plants only use co2 when lights are on then stop when lights are off. DIY usually provide co2 24 hours so you may want an air stone just for at night. The air will also help stabilze PH. The carbon will filter out any nutirents you ad for plants. You dont need it unless you want to remove unwated chemicals (ick treatment).

I think you will find the light may not be adequate for all of your plants. 15w isn't much, even for a small tank.

Most ground cover needs high light high tech setups to thrive. However, you could probably get away with some java moss. You can tie it to rocks on the bottom to get a low level ground cover type effect. It does fine in low light, though it may grow very slowly.

KH/pH is a great way to measure your co2, but really you can tell if you have a problem by observing your fish. If they are gasping near the surface in the mornings before the lights come on, it would be prudent to run an airstone just at night to off gas extra co2 and better oxygenate the water.

You could always invest in a drop checker as well to gauge the CO2. they are a bit pricey, but quite convinient. Plus everyone who see's it will ask "whats that?" and give you an excuse to rattle off your growing biochem knowledge. :)

You could always invest in a drop checker as well to gauge the CO2.

This is a good idea. So long as you set it up right and use a calibrated solution in the drop checker, it is plenty accurate to gauge your co2. You can get the ADA knock-off ones for quite cheap on ebay from seller aquaticmagic. It ships from China though, so you will have to wait on it for a couple of weeks. If you buy them here, they are quite pricey for just being a piece of glass, but an invaluable tool.

So my fish seem to be doing fine. I have been doing Co2 during the day and then aerator at night. Been working out okay so far. I will most certainly be investing in a drop checker. I like them lots :D Plus like ya said now I will be getting the questions on hey whats that cool thing. Well maybe not on this forum but at least on facebook or something. :)

I TOTALLY agree about the 15w fort384 and I have to say Im pretty disappointed in a pretty dependable lfs I know. But after a little research Im kinda wondering if it was totally the poor guy fault...is there even a bigger watt for a 18"bulb for a ten gallon tank??? I have the standard hood that came with the tank but maybe I for some reason cant find a higher watt in that bulb length but all Im seeing is 24" in anything higher! Maybe I need a little project of putting up two bulbs. Im trying to grow some plants here and a hobby. I wanna do this stuff the right way and learn in the process. I mean I know I can get away with low lights, etc but my main goal with this tank is to gain knowledge and have a good plan so in the future when Im getting into bigger tanks and more advanced equipment and plants I can have one **** good looking aquarium.

Last edited:
I have a 15w on my tank and the plants that i have are doing awesome... They werent doing so hot until i went to lowes and got a phillips daylight bulb and stuck in there. Of course youre limited on your plant choices...

Back
Top Bottom