Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exclamation 3rd week into the fishless cycling process... HELP!

Hello to all you fellow aquarists,

I have recently set up a new 55 gallon planted aquarium. I am just about to finish up my 3rd week of my fishless cycling process, my ammonia is .25 ppm - Nitrites are at 5.0 ppm - Nitrates seem to be around 20 - 40 ppm which has me concerned due to the fact that it seems to be pretty high.. I do have a huge green algae bloom (assumes it has to do with the high levels of Nitrates.) Been thinking should I add my Pelco from my currently set up tank ( not planted, have around 10-15 corys - 1 Pelco - 3 Black fin tetras - 2 red skirt tetras - 2 Lamp eye tetras; believe it is a 25 Gal / Not to mention I didnt let it do a full cycle when I set it up a few years ago, which I feel bad about......) has not been taken excellent care of due to me moving to a new house and focusing a bit to much on establishing a new perfectly cycled tank unlike the one that currently has fish in it. I have made sure it gets new fresh water every other week since I usually do a 50% water change on it.. some advice would be greatly appreciated, however on my 55 gallon tank I am using Seachem products for my plants and everything else..

Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi welcome to the forum

Nitrates shouldn't be the main issue here. Planted tanks will usually have nitrates, phosphates, potassium, etc available so the plants don't run short and start to suffer (in which case algae can show on the leaves). My tank has nitrates at about 5ppm at the moment but has been at 20 to 40ppm nitrates with no issues. I aim to have the tank at 2-4ppm phosphates, say 20ppm nitrates and pretty high in potassium.

I would look at light duration and/or if the tank is getting any natural sunlight. Are there any plants in the tank at the moment? If not I'd drop lighting period down to say 4 hours. You could also look into getting a uv filter to kill of the green algae but I'd suspect once the tank settles and the plants start growing the green algae will go away.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't move the pleco into the tank with those readings. Your tank is well on it's way to being cycled! Your nitrates aren't too high, they will continue to increase. Mine were off the chart for a while before my cycle finished.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd give it another week, maybe add some ammonia to push it along.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Aquaforce View Post
Hello to all you fellow aquarists,

I have recently set up a new 55 gallon planted aquarium. I am just about to finish up my 3rd week of my fishless cycling process, my ammonia is .25 ppm - Nitrites are at 5.0 ppm - Nitrates seem to be around 20 - 40 ppm which has me concerned due to the fact that it seems to be pretty high.. I do have a huge green algae bloom (assumes it has to do with the high levels of Nitrates.) Been thinking should I add my Pelco from my currently set up tank ( not planted, have around 10-15 corys - 1 Pelco - 3 Black fin tetras - 2 red skirt tetras - 2 Lamp eye tetras; believe it is a 25 Gal / Not to mention I didnt let it do a full cycle when I set it up a few years ago, which I feel bad about......) has not been taken excellent care of due to me moving to a new house and focusing a bit to much on establishing a new perfectly cycled tank unlike the one that currently has fish in it. I have made sure it gets new fresh water every other week since I usually do a 50% water change on it.. some advice would be greatly appreciated, however on my 55 gallon tank I am using Seachem products for my plants and everything else..
Yes i currently have 4 different kinds of plants, not to mention i did a water change 2 days ago.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Aquaforce View Post
Yes i currently have 4 different kinds of plants, not to mention i did a water change 2 days ago.
Definitely will not add the pelco then!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	1482806775988.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	292325 heres a current picture of my new tank, i have a surface skimmer / co2 reactor on the way to help distribute the co2 through out the tank more effectively. Would love to get more plants and some floating plants as well. As for fish im been aiming towards the unusual spieces that are not so popular (yes I like my rare/ different speices), but yet hardy. Any adivice guys?
Old 12-27-2016, 12:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The air powered sponge filter will reduce the CO2 from the diffuser; it's counter productive IMO.
However, removal of it may set back the cycle a bit if a healthy amount of BB is residing in it. I would take it.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

3rd week into the fishless cycling process... HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
The air powered sponge filter will reduce the CO2 from the diffuser; it's counter productive IMO.
However, removal of it may set back the cycle a bit if a healthy amount of BB is residing in it. I would take it.
A local aquairum store suggested it has alot of bentifits and def wouldn't hurt to have one to help prevent major shifts in the water. But as for using co2 with the bio-filter got me intrigued.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Nothing wrong with using a sponge filter. It's just that the surface agitation created by the bubbles may off gas the injected CO2 (more than you would like). However, if you can keep the drop checker the color a nice green, then you keeping sufficient CO2 levels in there.
TBH - none of the plants in there look like they require high light and the CO2 that goes with it.

Tags
cycling, fish, fishless, fishless cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com