4 hours on 4 hours off 4 hours on light questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
With the off period do I need to turn off the pressurized co2? Does it change the way I should fertilize? Right now my lights are on for 10 hours a day and I want to try the 4 on 4 off and 4 on

I have considered doing this in my 40 breeder. If you do, you'll need to split the co2 injection time up too. Have it come on 30 minutes before the lights come on, and go off 30 minutes before the lights go off... both times.

mfdrookie516 said:
i see no point in running lights for 10 hours, just asking for algae IMO

Right now I am running them for 10 hours, maybe that is why I have algae. Is it bad for the plants to have the off period?

My days start at 6:00 and I don't get home till 5:30. (That is a lot for a 16 year old to handle). I will finally see my tank! Lol. Another quick question... can you do too many water changes. (I just got my first python and I want to use it). I usually change out 5 gallons at a time. Would changing 5 gallons twice a week be good on a 40 gallon?

Do you change 50% all at once? And with the python do you just put the prime in the aquarium and then refill it with water from the tap?

mfdrookie516 said:
yeah and yeah. Though, i typically adjust the water temp before putting in the prime... i dont like my arm smelling like sulfur

I don't understand why you change the temperature.

to make sure it's the same temp from the tap that the tank is.. it's hard to guess perfect, so I adjust it once I start. It's usually really close though

mfdrookie516 said:
to make sure it's the same temp from the tap that the tank is.. it's hard to guess perfect, so I adjust it once I start. It's usually really close though

Ok that makes since, but what does sulfur have to do with it?

mfdrookie516 said:
prime smells like sulfur

I feel dumb, I under stand now. Tomorrow I will do a 50% water change! O man that means I have to unplug my power head, heater, and filter. :(

I usually only change 5 gallons so all I have to unplug is the power head. But I don't thing changing 5 gallons once a week is enough. And now that I got the python it will be easy to change more than that. (The buckets would get very heavy)

An update on the 4/4/4 light cycle... I love it! It has helped lots with my algae and my plants don't seem to be effected. It also saves me 2 hours of running the co2 (I used to run my lights for 10 hours a day) I now have all of my tanks on the 4/4/4 light cycle (all 2 of my tanks lol). I have another quick question how do I edit how many tanks I have? I only have 1 green box saying that I only have one tank but now I have 2 tanks. (If that makes any cents)

Back
Top Bottom