4kg CO2 tank - how much should it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a 4kg CO2 tank and it only last for a month - month and a half. Some say it lasts for 3 months. I also shut it off during the night. Do I have a leak? My solenoid valve is not directly connected to the regulator but via an intermediate CO2 pipe with clips on the ends to prevent leaks. I did the soap and water test and there seems to be no leak.

What size aquarium are you using this cylindar on? By my calcs it is about 8.8lbs.

Some additional information that would be helpful is the CO2 levels that you are maintaining in the aquarium, what diffusion method you are using, and whether you have anything that could be causing CO2 to gas off.

Tank Size: 55g
CO2 levels: ~30ppm (6.8pH using meter and KH 6 using test kit)
Diffusion: Ceramic Diffuser with powerhead connected to a spraybar to mist the CO2
Filter: Canister and connected to a spraybar to prevent outgassing.

It does sound like you have a leak, but to be sure I would weigh the tank empty then full to make sure it's getting a full 4kg when you have it filled. That is the likely problem if it passed a leak test.

I would agree, sounds like a leak somewhere! that should last longer than amonth or so on a 55 gallon tank, especially if your shutting it off at night. let us know if ya get it worked out! Good luck!

Thanks people for the replies. What I am going to do is eliminate the pipe part and buy a connection to join the solenoid and the regulator directly.

I have to agree. You must have a leak somewhere. I have a 10 pound bottle (4.5 Kg) running to two different tanks (28 gal and a 75 gal) and it lasted for 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom