5.5 Gal Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 5.5 gallon tank. I am not going to be using pressurized co2. This is my first planted tank. What fish should I place in this tank? And any recommend plants for a beginner? Thanks guys!

Great thank you! What would you reccomend plant wise for a beginner to fill up the 5.5 gal?

I have what you want! Haha look up Evolution of my Tanks by me.

I made a carpet of Java Moss (almost impossible to kill), 2 kinds of Java Fern, Anubias, Red Ludwigia, Rotala Wallichii. I keep all of those with no CO2 and support by a meager desk lamp!

Fauna is Red Cherry Shrimp and I just added 2 Least Killifish for the time being :) lemme know if you need anything else.

This great! Thank you for the direction, I will be following you advise closely. What substrate do you recommend for these plants?

I used a plant dedicated substrate like Flourite. It's really the only substrate that I've personally used although there are plenty of people on here who have had positive experiences with standard gravel or sand.

Another great plant species to look into is really any of the Crypts. Some Crypts like Wendtii (which comes and a wide variety of colors, most common being Red, Bronze, and Green), Lucens, and Parva are all decently short (Parva in particular). They are really hardy plants. Be warned though, they usually go through what we call a "melt" when they get into a new aquarium.

Thanks a lot! This great. And beautiful tanks Pred! I am in the process of making some DIY driftwood too, what plants would flourish growing on top of the driftwood?

Southpaw said:
Thanks a lot! This great. And beautiful tanks Pred! I am in the process of making some DIY driftwood too, what plants would flourish growing on top of the driftwood?

Oh any Moss works well, Java Fern, Anubias. All those are great choices!

I am going to use a 5.5 gal with a 25 watt light will this be sufficient for a RCS setup?

Thanks for your help! Setting it up tonight, let's see how this goes!

image-2157278731.jpg

Here it is all planted up, thanks for everyone's help!

I just setup a 6 gallon tank with Eco Complete for the substrate. Plants are java fern, hornwort, anubias, water wisteria, amazon sword and anachris. I don't use ferts of CO2 though. I wanted low tech and small. :)

Oh, I have three moss balls, too.

I think yours looks great Southpaw!

Back
Top Bottom