5.5G Planted Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsteridea

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ohhh man. Okay. I decided to try building a planted tank for my 5.5 G, as it was just sitting around, and having a successful planted tank was a goal for me!

I decided the Walstad method was the way to, and that I would use play sand as the top substrate.

I, like most people, greatly underestimated the sand. Even though I had thought I rinsed it well enough, it was still very cloudy in the tank. The night I set it up, I pretty much gave up. I thought, "Ugh, this isn't working!" But, I left some of the water in the tank over night, to find that the sand DID settle and the water looked pretty clear.

This gave me motivation to keep working on it. Even though, I had added the plants to my bigger tank and the light went to my hermit crab (spur of the moment plan B), I thought:"Okay, let's just try it. I can always just break it down if it doesn't work out. It's just a little 5.5..."

After meticulously scooping out bits of debris (mostly from the potting mix), replacing the plants, adding a couple rocks and bark from outside. It doesn't look half bad! I think it looks a lot like the bottom of a pond or something haha.

The plants in there are, a couple java ferns, a small anubia, a crypt, and I *think* mondo grass.

I plan on just keeping the tank up for a few weeks to let everything settle and have the plants time to adjust. I figure with the Walstad method and the substrate being more natural, they will hopefully fair better in this tank than in my bigger tank with just gravel.

2ppc1uf.jpg

I'll post another when the sand settles more.

I would like to add RCS if I can get a hold of them for a reasonable price. I know I could just order them too, but because we live in an apartment, I'd be worried they would have to sit at the mail center for too long :(

When I went to a LFS, they recommended maybe added "Galaxy Rasboras," which is funny because I asked someone there if they had any of their other name, Celestial Pearl Danios, and they said no. So I guess in the long run, I'm happy I can get them at all.

But, I'm not too sure on them. I'm a little leery to add actual fish to this tank. Even microfish, I want to try to not mess with it as much as possible. I'll plan on doing small water changes just to try to eliminate some waste, but the goal is to have it low tech and have the plants do the work.

Any suggestions or advice with that?

Last edited:
what type of lights are you using? Im doing the exact same thing a few weeks.

By a quick glance, it seems that the java fern and anubias roots are buried. The roots will rot so It will be better if you attach ( with nylon or cotton thread) both java fern and anubias to either a rock or a piece of driftwood. I usually just put the rhizome between rocks and the plant will attach itself.

By a quick glance, it seems that the java fern and anubias roots are buried. The roots will rot so It will be better if you attach ( with nylon or cotton thread) both java fern and anubias to either a rock or a piece of driftwood. I usually just put the rhizome between rocks and the plant will attach itself.

Yes, I just learned about this today! I'll have to figure out a way to attach them to rocks. Could I lay rocks on top of the rhizome? Or would that hurt it?

As for the lights, they're just the fluorescent ones that came with the hood :/ I know, I was going to get some LED lights but they were a little bit more than what I wanted to spend at the moment. I may switch it out further down the line. I was sure to get plants that are easier to grow with low-level light.

Alright, I just moved the anubias and gently wedged it between two of the small stones. The java fern also were moved to be just sitting on the sand, but under the bark i have in there. The way it is, it's almost like a bridge, so it's not squishing them. Hopefully that helps them out! And now I have room to add more plants too, hehe.

Is the fixture a screw-in type? If so you can just put some full spectrum daylight bulbs in and call it a day.

The mondo grass is not fully aquatic and won't do very well long term.

You can get the shrimp held at the PO till you can pick them up, it doesn't cost any extra.

The LFS probably doesn't know about the celestial pearl danio name, they likely just go by whatever their list says.

Is the fixture a screw-in type? If so you can just put some full spectrum daylight bulbs in and call it a day.

The mondo grass is not fully aquatic and won't do very well long term.

You can get the shrimp held at the PO till you can pick them up, it doesn't cost any extra.

The LFS probably doesn't know about the celestial pearl danio name, they likely just go by whatever their list says.

For the lights, I just checked.. they aren't screwed in, but the kind with the two pins in the plastic base holder. I'm not sure how to get it out without breaking the bulb :/

I'm not too sure if it's mondo grass, but just in case, I'll remove it. I'm planning to go back to the store today to see what they have. I know that it's probably better to order online, but I don't like waiting unless it's for something like the shrimp that I can't really get at a store very often.

Update!

Removed the grassy plant, just in case it was mondo. Added 5 more crypts. For a total of 6, I -think- they are 5 C. Ciliata, and 1 C. wendtii. I know I probably have room for a couple more plants though!

spvhgg.jpg

A couple more pictures:

I just did a 50% water change to remove some more of the cloudiness from remnant sand and dirt particles. I'll probably do another one tomorrow or the next day, just for good measure and clarity.

f50k28.jpg

And an angled shot, for perspective!

2yv9kjt.jpg

Let me know what you guys think :)

Update!!

This tank has been up now for a few months, and everything is awesome. It's amazing how the water quality is perfect! There was some great amount of pearling, too. Really fantastic.

I've stocked it with 12 red cherry shrimp, and some accidental hitch hikers. Namely, pond snails and micro-organisms. I didn't want to touch it at first, but since the duckweed pretty much bloomed and filled up the entire surface (and making it not so fun for the shrimp to come out, they must like the sunlight!) I thought it was best to take some out and do a small water change as well.

Here's the latest photos:

i37vy0.jpg

nfrv2w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom