5 Gal Desktop Riparium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemurLad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lately, it seems like I spend a lot of my internet time browsing through other people's tanks rather than enjoying the ones I have. So, in an effort to break from that habit, I'm gonna start up a 5gal desktop tank to remind me that I have tanks of my own. (Aaaand... My LFS got some Scarlet Badis in stock and it would be a crime to not get a few of those little gems! ;))

I'd like to make this one a riparium because it's one type of scape I haven't tried, but this might turn into a regular aquarium because it's so small. Should be a relatively quick build because I've already got all the materials for it(even a cycled filter), just need the fishes and maybe a hunk of wood! :)

250878_10150193184374032_670114031_6894779_6357073_n.jpg

Got a pair of scarlet badis in there right now and they are gorgeous little things! The filter is from a cycled tank as well as all the decor.

LemurLad said:
Got a pair of scarlet badis in there right now and they are gorgeous little things! The filter is from a cycled tank as well as all the decor.

Do u know your parameters, what r they?
Also do u use test strips?

I use the API kit - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrate right now.

Rescaped the plants and added a ton of java moss, here's the pair of dario dario hanging out by the front -

253511_10150193713749032_670114031_6900310_3155586_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool Lemur Lad! I've been thinking lately about taking my dario dario out of their community and giving them their own tank. They are amazingly beautiful. You are lucky you got a female! They can be hard to find. I have one but need more. Are you going to add some java moss? That should encourage them to give you some babies!

Very cool Lemur Lad! I've been thinking lately about taking my dario dario out of their community and giving them their own tank. They are amazingly beautiful. You are lucky you got a female! They can be hard to find. I have one but need more. Are you going to add some java moss? That should encourage them to give you some babies!

I added a ton of java moss in the back, so hopefully some babies will show up some day! :D Do dither fish work for these tiny guys even though they're so small? They sure are shy little things. I'm worried that the speakers on my desk might be scaring them too. Anyone know if that would be a problem?

Last edited:
IME they take several weeks to mellow out and stop dashing for cover every time I come near. My female is the shyest. I really don't know if their tankmates affect this because I haven't kept them in a species tank yet. Mine are with boraras brigittae, corydoras hasbrosus, corydoras hastatus, and oto's. The speakers are probably scaring them if they are real close to them...they spook pretty easy. I think they can probably adjust though :)

Hmmm, alright. For me the female is the bold one and the male seems to follow her around. I suppose time will tell!

Well my poor girl is outnumbered 4:1 lol. I lucked out getting her..the site I ordered from said they were all males but she slipped through..lucky me :) I think I should probably take her and my best male out and put them in a 5. Hopefully they can give me some more females.

Sounds like a plan Erin. Here's an update on the tank -

251676_10150194332044032_670114031_6905822_2833346_n.jpg

252537_10150194379194032_670114031_6906254_1753362_n.jpg

The eyeball-like creature behind the tank is a sculpture of mine. He actually helps keep the light straight, heheh.

That looks awesome. I love the substrate, what exactly did you use there?

I put dirt at the bottom, then a layer of sand in the front/center and this great natural looking gravel from the store. The little male badis seems to be quite angry at his own reflection. :p

Back
Top Bottom