Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Am curious...............What is the wattage and K value of your tank lighting?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

27w 6700k

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Did a little rearranging and picked up some Rotala Macranda. Water is still cloudy from the rescape, but here it is.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good man, keep it up.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i agree the tank is looking good and i love the contrast of the light and dark gravel.
starrystarstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #26
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yay! The cycle is progressing. Tested tonight, ammonia has dropped quite a bit, and starting to get some nitrIte readings. Not sure on the nitrAte yet, since I am dosing it for the plants, I can't really tell if I am getting any nitrosomas developed yet. But -- excited to see some nitrIte anyway. Could be looking for some RCS next week...

Any suggestions on a small, colorful pair of fish to add to the tank? I am talking tiny... just to get some movement in toward the top of the tank since the shrimp will be sticking to the bottom.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

The shrimp will be all over the tank and not just on the bottom. They will frequently go to the surface, especially if you add some floating plants.

If your tank was bigger I'd recommend some Endlers but it's a little small IMO since they like swimming room that longer tanks provide.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #28
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I suppose I could go with no fish in the tank... that is an option.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Yay! The cycle is progressing. Tested tonight, ammonia has dropped quite a bit, and starting to get some nitrIte readings. Not sure on the nitrAte yet, since I am dosing it for the plants, I can't really tell if I am any nitrosomas developed yet.
Fort, the plants will use the ammonia and nitrites so you don't have to dose nitrates. The preferred food for plants (other than CO2) is ammonium (which the plants can make from ammonia). Plants convert Nitrates back to Nitrites and then back to the Ammonium which is the source of nitrogen that they use for growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Any suggestions on a small, colorful pair of fish to add to the tank? I am talking tiny... just to get some movement in toward the top of the tank since the shrimp will be sticking to the bottom.
In my experience, shrimp stay mainly on the bottom or on plant leaves and stems. They do occasionally swim around - but not much. So I agree that it would be nice to have some fish. Endler's livebearers do not eat shrimp (not even the tiny fry) and are a little smaller than guppies, but they will breed like... well, guppies. They will do nicely in a 5 gal. tank.

You could easily keep 6 neon tetras in a 5 gal. They'd prefer to swim in a larger tank but will do just fine in a 5 gal. and they will not eat the shrimp either... nor will they over-populate the tank by breeding, as do the Endler's.

Gertrude's Rainbow fish are another shrimp safe fish and I am looking to acquire some of those egg layers, but have had no luck in finding a source. If you do, please let me know.
elwaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaine View Post
Fort, the plants will use the ammonia and nitrites so you don't have to dose nitrates. The preferred food for plants (other than CO2) is ammonium (which the plants can make from ammonia). Plants convert Nitrates back to Nitrites and then back to the Ammonium which is the source of nitrogen that they use for growth.

In my experience, shrimp stay mainly on the bottom or on plant leaves and stems. They do occasionally swim around - but not much. So I agree that it would be nice to have some fish. Endler's livebearers do not eat shrimp (not even the tiny fry) and are a little smaller than guppies, but they will breed like... well, guppies. They will do nicely in a 5 gal. tank.

You could easily keep 6 neon tetras in a 5 gal. They'd prefer to swim in a larger tank but will do just fine in a 5 gal. and they will not eat the shrimp either... nor will they over-populate the tank by breeding, as do the Endler's.

Gertrude's Rainbow fish are another shrimp safe fish and I am looking to acquire some of those egg layers, but have had no luck in finding a source. If you do, please let me know.
There aren't enough nutrients in that tank and there won't be enough nutrients present from the shrimp waste to allow all of those plants sufficient growth so dosing will be necessary to some degree.

I strongly disagree that Endlers won't eat shrimp and I know there are countless others that would agree with me on this. I keep Endlers and shrimp, but not together after hearing of people that did just that. They noticed that the Endlers (mainly the larger females) would be picking off baby shrimp all the time. Babies are 2mm long or less and any fish that CAN fit a shrimp into their mouths WILL try if given the opportunity. Larger shrimp would be "safe" from adult Endlers because of their size but babies aren't safe at all. Again, I don't recommend Endlers for a 5g since they like long tanks for the swimming room. Neons and other tetras may be okay but don't think that they won't eat the tiny shrimp because they will.

Tags
plant, planted, rim, shrimp, shrimp tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com