5 Gal Planted plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i have allways wanted a 5 gal batta tank, and i have been talking to my folks and they have agreed to let me set one up... but not for a few months or so :( so i will have lots of time to prepare and make the right decisions on this tank.
5 or 10 gallons (havent chosen yet)
AC 20 HOB (will be running on a fully cycled 2 year old 65 gal prior to use on 5 or 10 gal)
Original Flourite (ugly color but i have 20 pounds not being used)
Lighting - No idea yet... might build my own hood with a DIY light, have some fun with it.

now plants - i really like dwarf baby tears, and i know they are tough to get going... i like a challenge so what is the best way to approche them?
a bigger plant or 2 for the back/middle? options? maybe a nice small rock and driftwood.

fish - betta :) i real nice one i hope

now could i have some shrimp in there? i really like the little fellas
maybe a mystery snail or nerite?
thanks, i have loads of time to plan this so all opinions and advice are welcome :)

you could have shrimp and either snail, i would probably go for the 10 gallon, that way you could have a small school of something as well. As for background plants, maybe hornwort? grows big and is VERY easy to grow, hard not to actually

Is hornwort a messy plant? As in leaves falling off and such? And I jar read up that dwarf baby tears need a fine substrate? Could fluorite work or would I need some sort of sand or finer substrate?

my hornwort hasnt been too messy for me, a little when i first put it in, but none other than that

Is hornwort a messy plant? As in leaves falling off and such? And I jar read up that dwarf baby tears need a fine substrate? Could fluorite work or would I need some sort of sand or finer substrate?

It will lose "leaves" if first introduced or if the conditions aren't right for the plant. Other than that it should be fine.

You have fluorite as in like Seachem fluorite?

All right sounds good. I will have to talk to the store owner to see if he could even order me some in because none of the Lfs's have baby tears ever.

So as of now I will need to buy a heater and a CF bulb, I can go up to 40 watts with the fixture I found in my basement. I think I will also be running a diy co2.

Does anyone know of a bush like plant? I know hornwort and cobamba but I have had bad experiences with them.

should i also cover the intake of the filter with a sponge like material to keep the shrimp from going up it?

zach_1_6 said:
should i also cover the intake of the filter with a sponge like material to keep the shrimp from going up it?

If the intake doesn't have a cover you can put a sponge or a net material over it.

Most Bettas will EAT Shrimp. Ghost or big Amano Shrimp may be ok. I tried Cherry Shrimp with one of mine and within two days ALL the Shrimp were gone except the largest female and I found her on her side. I rescued her and put her back in my Shrimp Tank.

I put a sponge over my intake in Shrimp tanks.

zach_1_6 said:
So i have allways wanted a 5 gal batta tank, and i have been talking to my folks and they have agreed to let me set one up... but not for a few months or so :( so i will have lots of time to prepare and make the right decisions on this tank.
5 or 10 gallons (havent chosen yet)
AC 20 HOB (will be running on a fully cycled 2 year old 65 gal prior to use on 5 or 10 gal)
Original Flourite (ugly color but i have 20 pounds not being used)
Lighting - No idea yet... might build my own hood with a DIY light, have some fun with it.

now plants - i really like dwarf baby tears, and i know they are tough to get going... i like a challenge so what is the best way to approche them?
a bigger plant or 2 for the back/middle? options? maybe a nice small rock and driftwood.

fish - betta :) i real nice one i hope

now could i have some shrimp in there? i really like the little fellas
maybe a mystery snail or nerite?
thanks, i have loads of time to plan this so all opinions and advice are welcome :)

An article on how to plant Hemianthus callitrichoides aka dwarf baby tears aka HC
http://www.ehow.com/how_8057870_plant-dwarf-baby-tears.html

It may be difficult to keep HC from floating using a coarser substrate. You may want to try burying pots of it ? Or perhaps try using plastic mesh to keep it down till it roots better ? I have sand in my tanks, so haven't had this issue.

HC is considered a High Light plant. In small tanks that is easier to achieve.

You can tie Moss to driftwood :)

I really like my Crypts. But don't know if they'd like High Light. I use Crypts as my centerpiece. I have C. Nurii Pahang mutated in one tank and C. Lutea in another. Site wont let me post more pics, sorry.

I love my Nerite snails :)

See my other post about Shrimp choices.

GL.

i read up on bettas and shrimp and it said basically it was a hit or miss. if this tank does get rolling i will for sure add shrimp first and then be looking for the betta second, and give the shrimp some time to grow and the plants to provide more hidding space.

Back
Top Bottom