5 gallon fluval spec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to get one of these tanks to house a beautiful male betta and just want some info on the tank?

My questions:
1. Can the led light support plants?
2. Is the filter that it comes with adequate?
3. Does it come with a heater, if not how many watts should the heater I purchase have?

I'd like to keep
1 male betta
A few galaxy rasbora
A few red cherry shrimp

4. Would this stock be to much for the tank?
5. Are these fish compatible?

All info is appreciated :) :)

I was thinking black sand and a black background :)

I was eyeing the Spec 5 last month and saw some videos on it.

1. The light should support low light plants like Anubias, Java Fern and Crypts .. along with moss.
2. Depends on the stock your considering ... for what you're planning it should do fine.
3. The Spec 5 does not have a heater ... however, there was a youtube video showing a guy setting one up and used a Marina (C25 or next higher I think) brand heater that easily fit in the filter chamber.

RCS with beta may not work .. I've read where adult RCS are ok, then others when they were just a snack for the beta. A spec 5 would make a great shrimp tank however ... some RCS, an Amano and even a couple of Tiger Shrimp would be one idea.

We have 2 Fluval Edge's which are pretty similar to the Fluval Spec and the Spec actually has more LEDs. In our two tanks we have Ambulia, Dwarf Sag, Crypt Wendtii and Parva, Water Sprite, Micro Chain Sword, Bolbitus, and Java Fern Wendilov. Also one of the tanks has some Anubia Nana "Petite" which is a very very small type of Anubia which looks very striking in a small tank. I use Flourish Comprehensive weekly after WC's and also use 1.5ml of Liquid Carbon (Excel) daily. Growth on the Ambulia and Water sprite is fairly good but leaves are very fine and delicate under this lighting, which actually looks really pretty up close in a small tank. We had to buy a couple nano heaters and used Eco-complete for our substrate.

Okay so I did some research on the fluval edge and decided I might get it now. It looks much more sleek and has a nice design element :)

Back
Top Bottom